Off To West Virginia On Saturday

fosceal2

My sister has promised that a local lady is going to show me where some fossil starfish are.Could be star fish or maybe crinoids ? What ever they are I will be thrilled.I will make sure to find out if it is private or public land so maybe I can share info! I will try to take some pictures of these areas if they are public. I even bought a dog backpack so the dogs can help carry our finds and I got a real rock hammer for my birthday! I just hope its not too cold.

Cecelia

" The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Fosceal

Sounds like a good time. I'd like to make a small suggestion though. Ask the person who shows you the exposure how she'd like you to treat the site information, and abide by her wishes. Its a courtesy I always extend to my host, and always like to see brought up by the guest before I have to say something. My theory, supported many times by personal experience, is that if the host doesn't have to worry about a site being over exploited as a result of showing it to me, perhaps I'll be shown something even better in the future once trust is built. Some hosts really don't care, either because they aren't interested in fossils or the exposure will continue to produce despite collecting pressure. Either way, you can't close any doors by having that conversation. This is just how I operate and you are free to follow or ignore the advice, but this approach has helped me to access, successfully collect, and document 446 sites to date.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Fosceal

Sounds like a good time. I'd like to make a small suggestion though. Ask the person who shows you the exposure how she'd like you to treat the site information, and abide by her wishes. Its a courtesy I always extend to my host, and always like to see brought up by the guest before I have to say something. My theory, supported many times by personal experience, is that if the host doesn't have to worry about a site being over exploited as a result of showing it to me, perhaps I'll be shown something even better in the future once trust is built. Some hosts really don't care, either because they aren't interested in fossils or the exposure will continue to produce despite collecting pressure. Either way, you can't close any doors by having that conversation. This is just how I operate and you are free to follow or ignore the advice, but this approach has helped me to access, successfully collect, and document 446 sites to date.

Thank you, that is a good suggestion. I will be suprised if she does not ask me to keep it private but I will check!

FOSCEAL