Help with ID

Bear003

Hello everyone. I’m an amateur fossil hunter that goes out occasionally by our cabin in central Montana. We often find crinoid rings which are common. Found this today which made my day! I’m wondering if anyone can help ID which family or group this is from? Found in Judith Basin County in the Little Belt Mountains. Thank you!!

982444E0-7B56-4FB2-A34E-D9EB3DF8A9A9.jpeg

3C941B94-E90D-4F64-B0F4-0D8BD5288816.jpeg

4A353114-EDF5-4260-98F5-8792DF9E233E.jpeg

E9A73B43-EBE1-4886-965E-42E7EA257DE7.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

Very interesting, and a great find! I'm far from an expert, but assuming that locality is Lodgepole Formation, your crinoid looks to me like one of several species of Platycrinites described from there. Do you have a clearer photo of the calyx/cup surface texture? Based on the occurrence in the Little Belt Mountains described by Laudon and Severson 1953, I think your crinoid may be Platycrinites bozemanensis, but a close-up of the calyx might be more informative.

Edited by Mochaccino

9 hours ago, Mochaccino said:

Very interesting, and a great find! I'm far from an expert, but assuming that locality is Lodgepole Formation, your crinoid looks to me like one of several species of Platycrinites described from there. Do you have a clearer photo of the calyx/cup surface texture? Based on the occurrence in the Little Belt Mountains described by Laudon and Severson 1953, I think your crinoid may be Platycrinites bozemanensis, but a close-up of the calyx might be more informative.

Thanks Mochaccino! I’ll look that up and see what I can find. Here’s another photo that might help. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Bear003 said:

Thanks Mochaccino! I’ll look that up and see what I can find. Here’s another photo that might help. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

The matrix still makes it a bit hard to see, but if the calyx plates are "nodose" and bumpy with ornamentation instead of being smooth, I am thinking this could also be a Platycrinites canadensis. Again, either way a great find!