Details of two Rhinopteraspid Fish's Ventral Preoral Regions

Biotalker

I thought I would share this recent fossil purchase. I was fortunate to obtain this fossil from the lower Devonian in the southwestern region (Podolia) of Ukraine. Two ventral snout regions of type of heterostracan (jawless) fish called rhinopteraspid are exposed. The bone detail is simply remarkable. There is “tiling” of the underside of the long (rhino) snouts with dentine and/or aspidine (acellular enamel-like substance) in parallel lines arrays with a more uniform bone matrix underneath. The pre-oral-plate is angled in toward the mouth and displays many external textures of bone that presumably aided the fish’s feeding. I didn't expect to see this level of detail.

Rhinopteraspid pic.jpg

BotnVent.jpg

lrgSnoAngleCrop.jpg

LrgVenOver.jpg

LrgVenCloseCrop.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Great Fossils, Mike. Nice detail for sure.

Any chance of seeing the entire plate?   :envy:

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 8 months later...

Here is the entire plate approx. 8" (20cm) x 3.5" (8cm), which has also a partial headshield of a Cephalaspid called Ukrainaspis kozlowskii.

Ukraine Rhinoperaspis Crop.jpg

• Thank You 1