Help - Ancient Shark Tooth Identification

Kelleighoo

Hi, I have been combing the beaches of Topsail Island for years and this is the first trip that turned up multiple large finds. Usually my biggest find is the size of a nickel. This year I found over ten that I consider noteworthy…which is strange in itself. But I am having a lot of trouble identifying one in particular. I have attached a few pictures of the tooth in question here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Usually my finds are very common…tiger, sand tiger, great white, bull, etc. but for some reason, this year turned up many ancient and worn pieces. Any opinions on why so many turned up this year vs. previous years would be appreciated too. I can only assume that maybe the coast was recently dredged, and this made older pieces become beached (??)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Probably too worn to ID positively. Maybe some locals will weigh in.

@MarcoSr  @Al Dente  @sixgill pete

• Thank You 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

27 minutes ago, Kelleighoo said:

Any opinions on why so many turned up this year vs. previous years would be appreciated too. I can only assume that maybe the coast was recently dredged, and this made older pieces become beached (??)

I think they went through another round of beach nourishment this year. A lot of beaches in North Carolina are currently undergoing beach nourishment. 

This tooth has too much wear for positive ID. About half of the root is gone, along with most of the enamel. But based on the size, and guessing the age is Oligocene ( a lot of Topsail fossils are Oligocene), it could be Otodus angustidens.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

Yeah super worn unfortunately - but it gives off a lot of Otodus vibes to me!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

2 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Probably too worn to ID positively. Maybe some locals will weigh in.

@MarcoSr  @Al Dente  @sixgill pete

I agree with Eric, it could be Otodus angustidens.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Neat find, very water worn, but I would agree with a possible Otodus angusitens. As my good chum @Meganeura has suggested, it really gives off those vibes :P.

• Thank You 2

~ Isaac; www.isaactfm.com 

"Don't move! He can't see us if we don't move!" - Alan Grant

Come to the spring that is The Fossil Forum, where the stream of warmth and knowledge never runs dry.