Mazon newbie looking for guidance

debivort

16 hours ago, debivort said:

Are the plant bits visible above IDable? If so that might put it in the keeper category for me. At least until I get a better specimen, as you've said. Can you link me what the insects might look like? 

In some of the larger bits maybe. In most cases, no. Google Mazon creek fossil insect to get an idea. Can be legs, bits of wings, sometimes a spider part, etc.

That's pretty cool. I'm happy to have that in the collection. What are key characteristics of Mazon coprolites (any way to increase confidence in that ID)? I assume I'm seeing a mushy pile of plant material? Is it likely to be a fish that produced it? 

Fish, tully monsters, amphibians, six-foot millipedes, dragonflies with 27" wingspans, and a few other "nightmares". Can be plant material, marine organism bits, etc., and anything that fell into the water that a fish would eat. Look for identifiable bits in the coprolite.

What would constitute a better specimen? Curious to know what my stretch goals are. I'm really enjoying building up my little plant collection either way.

This will change with each new find. Forget goals -- you have no control over what you'll find unless you do it twice a week for at least two years. If you've been following Ralph's thread about the collection he purchased and his "Sometimes you have to whack them" thread you'll have a good idea of the possibilities. There's still hundreds of millions of nodules out there to be had. The best collecting is on private property, so getting permission from land owners will net you some nice specimens. Takes a ton of research, planning and footwork but it's worth the effort.

Edited by Mark Kmiecik
fix typo

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Hi @Mark Kmiecik — could I exhort you for more specific answers?

• Specifically, can we ID this plant?
1925816064_ScreenShot2022-10-10at6_54_34PM.png.5d48f95729efea57efe27f91be4fb6d9.png
If so, I won't roll the dice on an insect part just yet.

• Given that the coprolite is ~6cm on a side, can we narrow down its producer? Could a tully monster do that?
1897977929_ScreenShot2022-10-10at6_54_45PM.png.e84396043844db10872cd47a223ec70e.png

• Is there any way I can better photograph it to be more certain in the coprolite ID? 

• With respect to goals, you asked me how many remaining nodules I had around the possibility of "better specimens." I'm curious what you have in mind. 

Given that I live in MA, and I lucked into private access, I think this will be my one Mazon creek collection for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, debivort said:

• Specifically, can we ID this plant?

Nope. It's inner bark/pith of a plant with no distinguishing features visible. Indeterminate plant material is as good as the ID will get.

• Given that the coprolite is ~6cm on a side, can we narrow down its producer? Could a tully monster do that?

6cm? Wow that's big. At that size it may not be a coprolite but only debris. Or it may be several or many pieces of feces that were deposited over an extended period or a batch dropped by a "school" of tullys that current swept into one spot, but probably not a single individual. I see something in the lower left and also in the upper right sides that is organic material that I can't identify, at least not from photos. Given the bits and pieces of organic material my confidence level in it being a coprolite is at about 65%. Not sure, but leaning in that direction.

• Is there any way I can better photograph it to be more certain in the coprolite ID? 

That depends on the equipment you have. You can answer this question better than I can. I can tell you that your photos are sufficient. Let's get some others to chime in. @Nimravis @stats @connorp @deutscheben -- do you guys think this is a coprolite?

1897977929_ScreenShot2022-10-10at6_54_45PM.png.e84396043844db10872cd47a223ec70e.png

• With respect to goals, you asked me how many remaining nodules I had around the possibility of "better specimens." I'm curious what you have in mind. 

Nothing in mind specifically, but if you Google "mazon creek fossils" you get an idea of what's possible. You've only begun to scratch the surface and what you have found so far is fairly common. I'm just hoping that in the end you find something that is of better preservation quality and less common. I have my fingers crossed for you!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

It does look like a coprolite.   Do you have a magnifying glass or loupe?  You might be able to see some detail.  Small clams and snails are common as are shrimp parts.

Cheers,

Rich

17 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

if you Google "mazon creek fossils" you get an idea of what's possible

Thanks for the clear answers above, Mark. As for this - I am quite aware of what is possible. I've read both of my Wittry books and have been following the Mazon creek threads here since June. When I persuaded my friends to collect nodules in the mud and rain, it was with promises of tully monsters, sharks and scorpions. But when y'all pointed out that Braidwood nodules tend to be very terrestrial, I adjusted my expectations.

15 hours ago, stats said:

magnifying glass or loupe

I'll bring it into my lab and try to get some shots through our dissecting scopes!