Biotalker

I had a great day last October breaking rock with @Scylla in upstate NY. Didn’t find much in the way of trilobites but took a few chunks of rock home. Breaking one rock, I found these fragments of a Triarthrus. This July, armed with my new Zoic trilobite scribe, I began to work on the five pieces that seemed to contain the bug.

Triarthrus Start crop.JPG

I’ve been scribing as carefully as I can under a stereoscopic microscope. Well, you can see it emerging in these images, and it has gaps and holes. The trilobite isn't in great shape but it is my first (mostly) complete Triarthrus and I am quite pleased. Although the pygidium isn’t completely exposed yet, this critter should end up around 3.5cm in length.

What is the best way to seal up the holes and repair the damage?

T prep 1crop.jpg

T prep 2crop 2 .jpg

T prep 5crop.jpg

T prep 6crop.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

Came out pretty well so far, Mike.
Nice job!  :Smiling:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

8 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I use a product called Apoxie Sculpt

Can you can make Apoxie Sculpt liquid enough to apply through a syringe?

1 hour ago, Biotalker said:

Ive never heard of this.  Very interesting.  What may I ask do you thin/cut it with.  Thank you

9 minutes ago, RJB said:

Ive never heard of this.  Very interesting.  What may I ask do you thin/cut it with.  Thank you

Never thought about that either.  Is it even possible?

I'd typically use a bit of paleosculpt and put it where needed with a dental pick or something small.  Usually under magnification.  Make sure any edges are smoothed down so the repair doesn't look poor quality, etc.

1 hour ago, Biotalker said:

I've never thought to try that, so I supposed you'd have to experiment and try that out yourself, although I don't think it would be necessary, since it can be applied to small openings and cracks in the way that ParkerPaleo has already described.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

8 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I've never thought to try that, so I supposed you'd have to experiment and try that out yourself, although I don't think it would be necessary, since it can be applied to small openings and cracks in the way that ParkerPaleo has already described.

Thinking about this...  If you really did want to inject something, why not use one of the 2 part plastics, they are liquids to start/mix.  You'd destroy a syringe but you could inject it.  I'd be more worried at this point though as how to deal with anything that splashed/didn't end up exactly where you wanted it.

3 hours ago, ParkerPaleo said:

Thinking about this...  If you really did want to inject something, why not use one of the 2 part plastics, they are liquids to start/mix.  You'd destroy a syringe but you could inject it.  I'd be more worried at this point though as how to deal with anything that splashed/didn't end up exactly where you wanted it.

I used medical grade hypodermic syringes from time to time with 5-minute epoxy.  You can extrude the 2 parts into the barrel of the syringe, mix it there with a craft stick, add the plunger, and eject the epoxy without a needle (or with a large gauge needle).

After promptly emptying the syringe, you can use several flushes of rubbing alcohol to clean the syringe.  The alcohol prevents the curing of the epoxy.

If you forget to clean your syringe, the epoxy will not adhere to the medical grade plastic or the rubber plunger tip.  With some manipulation, you can pop the epoxy shell out of the barrel with a paper clip once the epoxy has cured.  The needle is a different story. 

It's so much faster and easier with the alcohol!  Anyway, that's my limited experience, your mileage may vary.  :tiphat:

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

On 8/11/2022 at 7:32 AM, RJB said:

Ditto to what Ludwigia said, plus you can use masonry powders or acrylics to color it before applying. 

Dry, tempera powder pigment works well mixed into 5-minute epoxy.  It works with epoxy putty, but it does take some kneading.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest