mpach033

One on the right looks to be Lemon, the other 2 look to be Carcharhinus sp. lowers - though could also be lemon. Hard to tell from the pictures - but if the 2 on the left have small serrations on the base of the blade, they’re Carcharhinus, otherwise they’re lemon.

• I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

19 hours ago, mpach033 said:

Hey guys, I found these on the beach along the east coast of Florida. Any ideas what they could be?

CABC6FD3-448C-4CB8-896E-6B05A8B309B7.jpeg

The top tooth is from a hammerhead shark, genus Sphyrna.  The near-90 degree notch on the left side (distal?  I can never remember), prominent root, lack of visible serrations (for a generally unweathered tooth) and the strong nutrient groove are cues. Unsure of the species, possibly S. lewini or S. zygena. A scale might help.

Lower left is genus Carcharhinus as @meganeura indicated.

Edited by hemipristis
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

3 hours ago, hemipristis said:

The top tooth is from a hammerhead shark, genus Sphyrna.  The near-90 degree notch on the left side (distal?  I can never remember), prominent root, lack of visible serrations (for a generally unweathered tooth) and the strong nutrient groove are cues. Unsure of the species, possibly S. lewini or S. zygena. A scale might help.

Lower left is genus Carcharhinus as @meganeura indicated.

Oh THATS what a hammerhead looks like! I really need to search through my drawers of my Carcharhinus and Negaprion and see if I have any hammerheads…

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

6 hours ago, hemipristis said:

Good call on Hammerhead — I missed that on first glance. Another feature this tooth seems likely to have had is the convex shoulder on the distal side. To me the tooth on the right is too worn to distinguish lemon vs Carch lower vs sand tiger 

• I Agree 1