No trilobite collection is complete without …

A.C.

Hey all. I just wanted to pick everyone’s brain and see everyone’s opinion on what trilobite they believe is necessary for a collection.

I think it is safe to say all collections both beginner and advanced should have at least one Utah Elrathia kingii. While super common and pretty inexpensive in terms of trilobites they are one of the classic images when someone thinks trilobite and so for that reason I believe they are a perfect specimen for any collection.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to No trilobite collection is complete without …

It really kind of depends on what the focus of your collection is, and what is available to you.

For me, Greenops, Eldredgeops, Triarthrus, and Dipleura are the main ones in my collection, due to availability.

Other than that, I think whatever you like or is aesthetically pleasing to your eye. 

I do have a few Moroccan, and Chinese trilobites that I got inexpensively.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I don't think there are any "mandatory" trilobites one must have.  I prefer to collect fossils in the field.  Self-collected fossils come with the memory of the circumstances in which they were found: what was the day like, who was I collecting with, the elation of finding the fossil and being the first to see that animal in hundreds of millions of years.  Of course the species that are involved are determined by what is available where I am collecting.  I know that some people cannot collect their own trilobites and they have to buy.  I have bought a few specimens myself, usually to have a representative of a group that I am unlikely to find myself.

Ultimately we collect because it makes us happy.  Maybe we think trilobites look beautiful, maybe we are intrigued by their evolution, maybe something else.  What species are essential depends on the reason we collect, which will be different from person to person.

Don

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

I have a handful of Trilobites. Not many, they are a very small part of my fossil collection. 

But, one day if / when I can afford it. I would love to get a well prepped specimen of one of the heavily spined types. 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

Pick a trilobite that you find fascinating and cannot access yourself.

But every trilobite or fossil you buy/acquire has a backstory and history, even if you weren't a part of it. There is a great deal of enjoyment in learning that history. It's almost an obligation. And so your knowledge and appreciation grows.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

If they're within your budget, I think every collection needs a trilobite with soft-tissue preservation, with the ultimate being a pyritized Triarthrus from NY. There's just something about seeing the legs/ antenna/ gills etc. that make them come more alive than just having the outer shell.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

4 hours ago, Northern Sharks said:

If they're within your budget, I think every collection needs a trilobite with soft-tissue preservation, with the ultimate being a pyritized Triarthrus from NY. There's just something about seeing the legs/ antenna/ gills etc. that make them come more alive than just having the outer shell.

Yes soft tissue preservation is amazing! Though I will say at the moment a bit beyond what I would like to spend… 

I absolutely love seeing the appendages and how lifelike they are. Really a neat and amazing fossil.

On 8/11/2022 at 12:21 PM, Biotalker said:

Pick a trilobite that you find fascinating and cannot access yourself.

But every trilobite or fossil you buy/acquire has a backstory and history, even if you weren't a part of it. There is a great deal of enjoyment in learning that history. It's almost an obligation. And so your knowledge and appreciation grows.

Yes I tend to not want to trade or purchase for stuff that I can find. There is something fun about being on the hunt for a white whale so to speak.