Chicago Pneumatic CP9361 Air Scribe Tips - Recommendations

Steve D.

Hey all! 

I have been building out (slowly) my prep lab and learning a ton! Early this year I invested in a air scribe and went with the Chicago Pneumatic CP9361 Air Scribe. I'm trying to locate information on different tips that would be applicable to this model but not coming up with much. Does anyone have any experience with this model and have any recommendations on either replacement or other tips that would be applicable to this model? My prep is mostly working with shale from south IN, OH, KY and Utah. 

Any help would be appreciated! ... (wife doesn't know this yet, but I'm looking into an air abrasive system next ;)

Thanks! 

Steve

I havent changed my 9361 tips to anything different, but as caterpiller said, this is only for heavy rock removal.  Dont try to work very close to an actual fossil with it. 

• I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I’m not aware of a resource for alternative styli for the 9361. I used one for a few years until mine had a catastrophic failure and a section of the piston sheared off and drove itself into the internal components. There’s no coming back from that!

It was a good bulk removal instrument as the others have mentioned but there’s a lot of slip in the stylus movement. It wasn’t developed for paleo work. There are a handful of paleo specific manufacturers out there these days with a variety of scribes and prices. I would suggest sticking with the CP for your bulk removal and purchasing one of the modern scribes modeled after the Aro for closer (but not delicate) work. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1