Possible plesiosaur’s jaws?

Sergiorex

Saw this for sale, not sure whether it’s real or what species of animal it came from, but looks like plesiosaur? It was “purchased at the Tucson Gem & Mineral Show.“ it weighs 6.1 pound and the bottom jaw is about 9.5 inches long, the top is about 9 inches.

9642C439-79B7-4AD1-96C8-416C08F4E51D.jpeg

4BF1DBCF-DDA2-4B5B-8FF2-248C69F1EF1F.jpeg

Can't speak for the teeth themselves, but it very much looks like a composite. Random bone laid out in matrix, teeth thrown on top. None of the teeth actually go into the "jaw" - they all have bits of... matrix/sand/glue/whatever directly at the base of the tooth. 

Bone is probably real fossil, teeth are probably real teeth, but not a jaw by any means.

• I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

I agree that this is a composite. The teeth belong to a fish called Enchodus from the Cretaceous of the Khouribga phosphate mines in Morocco.

Edited by gigantoraptor
  • I Agree 2

5 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

I agree that this is a composite. The teeth belong to a fish called Enchodus from the Cretaceous of the Khouribga phosphate mines in Morocco.

I had a feeling they weren't plesiosaur teeth - the curves on some of them seemed off to me, but this is good to have an ID on em! 

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

I can show you boxes and boxes of fake Enchodus jaws from the Tucson show that were under most Moroccan tents.  My guess is that the jaws are also fake.   The tooth on the side might be plesiosaur

• I Agree 1

It looks like there are some nice Enchodus teeth there! If it was mine, it be carefully removing the teeth and keeping them as individual specimens.