Preserving a Niobrara Chalk Squid Pen

Mochaccino

Hello,

I recently got this section of fossilized squid pen of the giant squid Tusoteuthis longa, from the Cretaceous Niobrara Chalk of Kansas, USA. It measures about 7cm long. After receiving it I realized that it seemed rather unstable, with small "splinters" flaking off like a fragile piece of wood. I hear it is recommended to consolidate vertebrate bones with something like Butvar B-76, but what about something like this squid pen? I don't know what the material even is. Does anyone have experience preserving these? Thanks.

37028EFB-9369-42E8-B812-25A3727D7D51.thumb.jpeg.447176d77fc52f1b5d5834945adeb49f.jpeg1C5F8950-C223-4E79-A81D-72D8463B9A8E.thumb.jpeg.039473f4c22f24c4534cda04a07fae70.jpeg

E2CBA78B-A671-4187-87E2-53F55A33916E.thumb.jpeg.ae432e7d28a133410f8524a5d4dbae19.jpeg

Yup. Butvar B-76 or Paraloid B-72 should work well for something like this that seems porous and is unstable. At the FLMNH we buy large bags of B-72 pellets and dissolve them by the handful in gallons of acetone (and ethanol) for consolidating fossils. I've probably used a gallon and a half over the last week on a number of fossils in jackets to stabilize the bones and to keep the articulated fossils (mainly Trachemys turtle shells) held together so they don't fall apart.

If you have some B-76 or B-72 handy I'd suggest using that to stabilize this piece. Alternatively, if this is the only fossil you think you'll ever have to stabilize and you don't want the expense of purchasing some consolidant online you can try the cheaper route of diluting some white glue with water (somewhere around a 10% solution). The diluted white glue (polyvinyl acetate). The problem with PVA is that it will yellow over time (quicker with more exposure to light). This is why we use a more stable plastic like B-76/B-72.

It takes a bit of searching but you can find small packets or pre-mixed solutions of B-72 online if you have none at the present.

Cheers.

-Ken

3 hours ago, digit said:

Yup. Butvar B-76 or Paraloid B-72 should work well for something like this that seems porous and is unstable. At the FLMNH we buy large bags of B-72 pellets and dissolve them by the handful in gallons of acetone (and ethanol) for consolidating fossils. I've probably used a gallon and a half over the last week on a number of fossils in jackets to stabilize the bones and to keep the articulated fossils (mainly Trachemys turtle shells) held together so they don't fall apart.

If you have some B-76 or B-72 handy I'd suggest using that to stabilize this piece. Alternatively, if this is the only fossil you think you'll ever have to stabilize and you don't want the expense of purchasing some consolidant online you can try the cheaper route of diluting some white glue with water (somewhere around a 10% solution). The diluted white glue (polyvinyl acetate). The problem with PVA is that it will yellow over time (quicker with more exposure to light). This is why we use a more stable plastic like B-76/B-72.

It takes a bit of searching but you can find small packets or pre-mixed solutions of B-72 online if you have none at the present.

Cheers.

-Ken

I see, thank you! I definitely don't have any of those at hand but looks like it will be worthwhile picking some up to preserve my fossils, B-27 Paraloid probably. I definitely don't want to potentially ruin anything by going the cheaper route with white glue.

On 8/12/2022 at 6:23 AM, digit said:

Yup. Butvar B-76 or Paraloid B-72 should work well for something like this that seems porous and is unstable. At the FLMNH we buy large bags of B-72 pellets

Do you think you could post a link to a site for buying bulk B-72, that would be much appreciated! I've been having a hard time finding a good source.