Is this megalodon tooth real ?!?

JoseM

Hey y’all, I just wanted to know if this tooth is real or not . My dad bought it for me as a kid at a fair in Virginia in 2013 . As you can see it’s not in the best of shape . But this tooth holds a lot of sentimental value because this tooth sparked my interest in fossil collecting and I just want to know if it’s real or not. I would love any thoughts and input .

92F08B43-A437-476A-804C-76AA16F89957.jpeg

A25BB3A9-8225-403C-BE8B-7E81CFE498A5.jpeg

I'm not seeing any red flags, it seems real. Usually when people fake these teeth they would take the time to fake the root.

• I Agree 4

From the photograph, your specimen has every appearance of an authentic tooth. Enjoy, it's a very worthy introduction to a captivating field of interest.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

yes, and not a bad tooth for the price

• I Agree 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

The tooth is not in good condition - worn serrations and a broken root and it's fairly small.... (not hating on your tooth - it's a good sign and helps tell the story of what this tooth has been through to get to you!),  these alone suggest it's absolutely real because if someone was going to make a replica, they'd likely copy a large pristine tooth. 

A resin tooth really does feel like a lump of resin in the shape of a tooth and they are light. A real tooth feels like a chunk of rock - they're heavy!

I can see some other tell tale signs it's real too.
It's a nice, honest lower jaw tooth! 

• I Agree 1