Real or Fake Croc?

Real or fake?  It’s a nice looking piece, so I might be interested in it still if it is a cast or a combo, but also don’t want to overpay if that’s the case.

2B081B99-273C-46DD-8D1C-82EFD8D3B52D.jpeg

4802C36D-E588-483E-8BA0-FE7E524DA3FE.jpeg

A8206E18-CAF1-47F3-8F94-3003FD1C617B.jpeg

FE32C982-5F13-477F-8797-3CE86B4BFCC8.jpeg

B9BDF911-E8FA-4FF3-B938-90290E847F07.jpeg

My vote is that the skull is a complete fake, not a cast or composite, it lacks detail and texture.  All the teeth are real.

This is what a Moroccan skull should look like.

Screenshot_20211130-023106_Firefox.thumb.jpg.382151bbbdb7fa46855401d303bf9384.jpg

Screenshot_20211130-023142_Firefox.thumb.jpg.bb70a480ed0bc7462f5aa0694334ae3b.jpg

• I Agree 1

7 hours ago, Troodon said:

My vote is that the skull is a complete fake, not a cast or composite, it lacks detail and texture.  All the teeth are real.

On top of that, the brownish colour almost looks painted on 

Did you see any exact replicas at the fossil show you were recently at or did they use a different mould this time?

Hello, 

I agree what others have said above,

Id also like to point out the matrix looks off also in my opinion, it way to perfect sand like. I think its a complete fake with perhaps some real bone parts from other fossils used on the top of the skull to make it look authentic. Teeth are reel and all placed notice how the roots are all covered up

overal a complete decorative piece, stay away

5 hours ago, Gareth_ said:

On top of that, the brownish colour almost looks painted on 

Did you see any exact replicas at the fossil show you were recently at or did they use a different mould this time?

most were fabricated, not sure if they used a mold but all slightly different

Thanks for the feedback everyone.  This was in a friend’s home and he offered it to me for a high price (I don’t think he knew what he had).  I flagged a few of these items for him and offered him a much lower price (I can still use this as a “piece of artwork” in an office reception area that has some kid traffic which gives it some value above zero…and a spot I’d never put the real thing).  He balked, then apparently googled fake crocodile fossils online and called me back…

Edited by Kane
Removed prices as per forum rules
  • Enjoyed 2