Peace River - possible tortoise foot pad?

Meganeura

Found this today - has a weird pattern and has what looks to be bone texture. Anyone have any ideas?909FB8FF-293A-4D05-A598-76F567465679.thumb.jpeg.34d1a2f45f4117df0801daac92457540.jpegD5D05498-6839-43F9-976D-6DA0CF1A654F.thumb.jpeg.d4cd37db81f5fb5cb43aefee521e10fb.jpegCEBC0D6A-CDE9-46C9-B601-2468B9BF130B.thumb.jpeg.e9cdceaf31a04f4af2a45271c99065d9.jpeg

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

:zzzzscratchchin:My first thought is internal mold or eroded river tock because i dont see bone texture and the layering  seems off for foot pad.  However my level of knowledge is limited to knowing for sure that i want one    @Shellseeker, @Harry Pristis

8 minutes ago, val horn said:

:zzzzscratchchin:My first thought is internal mold or eroded river tock because i dont see bone texture and the layering  seems off for foot pad.  However my level of knowledge is limited to knowing for sure that i want one    @Shellseeker, @Harry Pristis

My initial thought was “What a neat rock!” Then I looked closer and it was a toss-up between bone and sandstone. So I will readily accept it just being a rock! 

1 hour ago, val horn said:

Pretty common in the Peace River....

TortoiseOsteoderm.JPG.efb03dcdb4dd2af725a630bb6c62b9f0.JPG

Here is a great photo from @Plantguy All sorts of shapes,  that ridge above is a "tell"

HesperotestudoOgallalaFMYumaCoLateMiocene.jpg.e9a71c51ff9bf1600e034574f0022322.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Neat! I’m glad I found one of those - the ridge was what tipped me off!

The ridge would definitely have made me think it was bone, but I wouldn't have thought of tortoise footpads. Very cool.

1 minute ago, Brandy Cole said:

The ridge would definitely have made me think it was bone, but I wouldn't have thought of tortoise footpads. Very cool.

Chris's photo helped me visualize these foot pads,  and I realized that the "ridge" was closest to the tortoise flesh.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

8 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Pretty common in the Peace River....

Here is a great photo from @Plantguy All sorts of shapes,  that ridge above is a "tell"

HesperotestudoOgallalaFMYumaCoLateMiocene.jpg.e9a71c51ff9bf1600e034574f0022322.jpg

This tortoise "leg" appears to me to be a composite of random bits.  I think this image has no identification value, and is in fact misleading.

"Footpad" is an unfortunate mislabelling.  It is more accurately labeled "osteoderm" or "spur" or "armor."  It is not a "pad" in any reasonable sense.

tortoise_osteoderms_comp_LI.jpg.56ab39b77e8c48466ad8eaf8cae22e76.jpgtortoise_spurs.JPG.65d9c822b8ddd8898fa515465629396c.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest