Not sure if I've found a fossil. Can anybody help me ID this, please?

Flashgordon

Hi everyone, my sister and I went out on walk at a local nature reserve this morning in the UK. With the weather being so hot recently, water levels have dropped in the ponds and the lake that are situated in the reserve. I found this shell sitting at the edge of a very hidden pond. It was NOT found in rock, it's very light weight, very fragile. Is it still a kind of fossil? Thanks guys

20220814_102327.jpg

• I Agree 1

The shell could be a current freshwater gastropod, but I'm not sure.
Indicate the area where it was found, with a bit of luck, a member can recognize it.

• I Agree 1

If it were a fossil we would expect to find solidified sediment in the shell. Sorry, a recent snail shell.

• I found this Informative 2

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Especially if it is lightweight and fragile. A recent shell of an extant species is most likely here.

Cheers.

-Ken

Thank you all for your responses. I had my doubts about it being anything very old due to it not being fossilised. I've just never come across a shell like it in my life, nor had my sister. Thank you all, again!

The land snails with spirals in the same plane resulting in a flattened shell seem to be less common. I've found tiny fossilized versions in Florida micro-matrix.

Your find seems to be modern but might look nice if the shell could be cleaned up and the mud removed. Something interesting for the display shelf. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg