Pliosaur tooth with possible repair work?

Hi,

I was wondering how this tooth looks? I think it is all natural but there is a part around the middle of the crown that could be just the preservation, but would like to get a second opinion on it (there are still striations through it). Thanks!

1646143310_pliosaurtoothrepaired1.thumb.jpg.78eceec303584144d170a5f09952d813.jpg678381166_pliosaurtoothrepaired2.thumb.jpg.0583179d45ae55e1a816aa8db03fd0cd.jpg

Yup, real tooth that was repaired. However, the area in the middle of the tooth, right around the 2.5cm mark in the top photograph has had some putty applied, probably as gap filler, but ending up also smoothing the area around that spot. On the bottom photograph, there's a light grey blotch at the base of the root, just above the matrix, which I think might also be gap fill - although I'm less sure of this spot and it may also just be mineral deposit. The deep red coloured spot, in any case, is repair...

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

I agree, it was just this part circled that caught my eye when I first saw it and though maybe it is better to ask. I can clearly see the striations running down it though, so I think it must just be the preservation of the tooth instead 1854116563_pliosaurtoothrepaired1-Copy.thumb.jpg.b75096b6ad9632c0d868547d29aaf312.jpg

Yeah, that circled area seems to be natural tooth. Hard to match striations so perfectly, in my experience - as well as seeing how sloppily areas with confirmed repairs are treated. I just think it's because the tooth is a bit cleaner there than in the areas around it. I've mentioned this before, but if you use a wooden tooth-pick, you can often easily remove any remaining matrix from between the striations, which already makes a tooth look so much the better. And if you then carefully clean the area underneath using some acetone (for fear or moistening the specimen with water), you'll end up with a nicely dark tooth with beautifully clear striae - just like the area you circled ;)

Edited by pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon
  • I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Thanks! yeah I will at some point try to remove some of the matrix to make the teeth look better! I'm just being too lazy with the other teeth :) 

• Enjoyed 1