Is this a Camarosaurus tooth?

Fossil Maniac

Hello! I am interested in purchasing this sauropod tooth labeled as a Camarasaurus from Kaycee county Wyoming. This tooth looks very odd to me and doesn’t really look like a Camarasaurus. If it is a Camaroasaurus more information on the species and where the tooth was in the jaw would be great! Thank you!

79DD24C8-B1B8-4874-AC5A-8E6813A77DBD.jpeg

A838F0FC-71D5-4F55-A6E7-5357F966949E.jpeg

85A5EDA3-DBC3-451F-9932-3A98225B0B2C.jpeg

4C7A6DB4-6253-448B-BD46-CB7ACCF49C2F.jpeg

7AE193CA-A244-43E5-BCDB-C8FE3424FC7A.jpeg

Edited by Fossil Maniac

24 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Do you mean Kaycee, Wy which is in Johnson County?  What makes you think its not a Camarasaurus?

Yes I mean Johnson county. It doesn’t really look like one to me.

The coloring looks right.  I'll default to Troodon but looks like it might just be a really beat up one.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

*Frank*

To me it looks like a Camarasaurid tooth with the tip broken lingually and a poor repair to hide the cracks but not return the tip to its original position.  Looks like other work has been done to reattach the brakes, again very poorly done.  Hard to see everything so my comments can change with better photos.   Difficult to place these teeth in the jaw and there are multiple Camarasaurid species so identifying isolated teeth to a species is difficult.

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

To me it looks like a Camarasaurid tooth with the tip broken lingually and a poor repair to hide the cracks but not return the tip to its original position.  Looks like other work has been done to reattach the brakes, again very poorly done.  Hard to see everything so my comments can change with better photos.   Difficult to place these teeth in the jaw and there are multiple Camarasaurid species so identifying isolated teeth to a species is difficult.

Is there more then one genus of camarasaurid from the Morrison?

52 minutes ago, Troodon said:

The genus is Camarasaurus 

Is C. lentus still possibly invalid or definitely invalid?

Published by P. Mannion et al. (2021) recognized sauropod genus/species.  You cannot infer a species name to this tooth.  It's indet.

Camarasaurus taxons:

Screenshot_20220815-175516_Drive.jpg.a1848c1c67572106526b6c3f137b68d3.jpg

• I found this Informative 1