Anybody know what this is? Found in North Florida

Kaiya

Now that's more like a fossil,  the very dark area stuck in a concretion..  Might be just a shiny rock, but it is similar to one of our more common fossils in Florida..

20161222_145802.jpg

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

2 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Now that's more like a fossil,  the very dark area stuck in a concretion..  Might be just a shiny rock, but it is similar to one of our more common fossils in Florida..

20161222_145802.jpg

Do you know what the name of that fossil might be? And would there be any way to separate the concretion from the fossil if it happens to be one?

Edited by Kaiya

16 minutes ago, Kaiya said:

Do you know what the name of that fossil might be? And would there be any way to separate the conception from the fossil if it happens to be one?

Sorry, I thought I left a link... Alligator tooth

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/100643-huge-gator-tooth/

I have not found anything easy, but some members have invested in Air Scribes that would probably remove the matrix...

• Thank You 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 8/17/2022 at 8:52 AM, Shellseeker said:

20161222_145802.jpg

Is it possible that what I found could be a porpoise/dolphin tooth? There is more of the fossil that extends out of the concretion all the way up. Here are some images I found that looked similar:

66339D90-90B2-44D6-A346-4EF3A51FC242.jpeg

833341E4-698A-4F59-87D2-DDB0AB2C7419.jpeg

6 hours ago, Kaiya said:

Is it possible that what I found could be a porpoise/dolphin tooth? There is more of the fossil that extends out of the concretion all the way up. Here are some images I found that looked similar:

Absolutely possible, it could be Dolphin..  We are discussing opinions based on experience.

If it is a tooth,  we are not even seeing most of the tooth. It might be just a shiny rock, it might be a dolphin tooth,  or an alligator tooth,  and any of a number of other fossils....

There are just not enough facts to be sure of anything... On 1st impression, I thought it might be a black rock in a concretion but if it was a fossil, I thought the texture of the enamel reminded me of gator... look closely at the enamel on the dolphin teeth... stress fractures and rugosity.... Not exactly what we are seeing on your enamel... but it is a possibility