Kaiya

Welcome to TFF, Kaiya.... If you live in Florida, there are tons of fossils and there are lots of Floridians who frequent this forum and can identify many of those fossils.

When I am hunting , I usually pick up everything that might be a fossil in the hopes that it is. Next time I return, I redeposit the those I decided were not...

This is shaped like a tooth but the consistency and texture are geologic.... rock or concretion.  Concrete is made of 3 elements,  water , sand, and calcium carbonate  (the stuff that seashells are made of...)

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264455545_Carbonate_concretions-explained

Carbonate concretions are common features of sedimentary rocks of all geological ages. They are most obvious in sandstones and mudstones as ovoid bodies of rock that protrude from natural outcrops: clearly harder or better cemented than their host rocks. Many people are excited by finding fossils in the centre of mudstone-hosted concretions (Fig. 1) but spend little time wondering why the fossils are so well preserved.....

Those holes might have been made by rock boring clams... and little bits of shell might have been sucked into the concretion...

Concretion.JPG.2e2b4754c0b685815462f2becaffeaba.JPG

I hope you get interested in fossils... Florida is a great place to be a fossil hunter....

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Are you sure about mm ? I think it is cm.

Coco

• I Agree 1

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 minutes ago, Coco said:

Are you sure about mm ? I think it is cm.

Coco

Yes, I used mm as I wanted to use a more international unit of measurement rather than the United States’ system.

I understand and it is to your credit, but I suppose mm are very small for your fossil.

1 cm = 10 mm

100 cm = 1 m.

If the height is 5 mm, your coin would be the size of a pin or almost :zzzzscratchchin:

Coco

• I Agree 1

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

3 minutes ago, Coco said:

I understand and it is to your credit, but I suppose mm are very small for your fossil.

1 cm = 10 mm

100 cm = 1 m.

If the height is 5 mm, your coin would be the size of a pin or almost :zzzzscratchchin:

Coco

Maybe I’ve been using it wrong, but here’s a photo of the fossil next to the ruler I used:

A6C15D05-C6B4-4F3A-8C31-9BD2FAB478EA.jpeg

OK. Each small line is 1 mm (millimeter). Each number represents 1 cm (centimeter). On your ruler, the fossil measures 4.9 cm (or 49 mm).

I assume that the metric system isn't easy to use for anglophones :Wink1:

Coco

• I found this Informative 1

----------------------

Un Greg...

2 hours ago, Coco said:

OK. Each small line is 1 mm (millimeter). Each number represents 1 cm (centimeter). On your ruler, the fossil measures 4.9 cm (or 49 mm).

Coco

Ah, thank you for letting me know! I should have checked to see if the measurements were correct. I don’t often use the metric system because of where I live, but I do have a friend here that only uses the metric system, so my lack of knowledge on this would probably disappoint him lol

thanks again! I will try to update my photos with the correct millimeters.

2 hours ago, Coco said:

Coco

It isn't. I don't know that I had ever measured something in cm or mm before I joined this forum. :) To be fair, her ruler does say mm on it, not cm.

I think it's easier for people who work with mechanics tools often, as there are occasional nuts that require metric wrenches and such.  So, we have to buy our "standard" wrench set and our "metric" wrench set. :BigSmile:

Edited by Fin Lover
Added last part
  • I Agree 2

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

3 hours ago, Fin Lover said:

To be fair, her ruler does say mm on it, not cm.

Yes, you’re right, that’s why I’m clarifying :Wink1:

Coco

• Enjoyed 1

----------------------

Un Greg...