Help identify?? Found in Western Iowa

Storknbeans

The last 2 photo's look like a different object to the first 8. The second object looks more like bone but I don't think it'll necessarily be identifiable to a specific animal as it doesn't seem to have many diagnostic features. You could confirm that it's a fossil as opposed to a modern bone through a burn test; if you hold part of it in an open flame from a lighter or something similar does it smell like burnt hair? If it doesn't smell then you can confirm its mineralized and doesn't have collagen (the organic part of bone) and thus is a fossil. After that you could try to narrow down the age but that requires more detailed location information, usually the county it was found in will work. For one example if it's from the Loess hills it could be late Pleistocene (~22,000~12,000 years ago) in age, I know of at least one mammoth found in the Magnolia area. I've attached a map of the geology of Harrison County where Magnolia is located as an example. Free and open access maps of surface geology for most of the state are available here: https://www.iihr.uiowa.edu/igs/publications/publications?key_words=surficial-geology&category=Open-File-Maps-(digital-maps)

1753895270_HarrisoncountyIAgeology.pdf

19 minutes ago, CDiggs said:

ok I’ll do that and I’m in sac county near lake view. A lot of gravel pits here. I also found a shark tooth, fossilized stuff from the Cretaceous era. Thanks for the help.

77046D33-0140-4A43-896D-9B468464A774.jpeg

Edited by Storknbeans