Help identifying a tooth and few other items

Ahendricks

Out of curiosity how can you tell if something is just a rock or a fossil? I have had a few things that just ended up being rocks, that I thought were fossils.So I wasn’t sure if there was an easy way for me to tell? Well besides the obvious ones lol

Edited by Ahendricks

I am not sure about any easy rules.  I try to start by googling  the fossils from the area i will be looking at.  My favorite approach to a new site is to go with a knowledgeable friend or a group 

• Thank You 1

Symmetry is a great "rule" - "rule" being in quotes because it's a great way to say "Oh hey this may be a fossil" - a good first indicator.  Neat patterns in things are also really good indicators - coral, teeth, bone all have patterns that are distinguishable from just rock (In the vast majority of cases).

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

I don't think there is an easy way. You learn what textures, shapes, etc. to look for through research and practice. I started off by getting an identification guide book local to the beaches I was visiting.  This forum and sites like fossilguy.com were also very helpful.  Once I felt like I was somewhat learning what to look for on the beach, I started going to inland creeks with completely different colored fossils, and had to learn again. :)

Like @val horn said, Google what types of fossils are in your area (and any sites where they can be found). Search for bone on this forum to see what the texture looks like.  Get an understanding of where in the ground/creek/etc. the fossils will be coming from and then start looking.  And pray that the ocean/creek/whatever type of site is not being stingy when you go hunting. :fingerscrossed:

Edited by Fin Lover
Fixed punctuation
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

16 hours ago, val horn said:

I am not sure about any easy rules.  I try to start by googling  the fossils from the area i will be looking at.  My favorite approach to a new site is to go with a knowledgeable friend or a group 

Unfortunately I do not know anyone around here that is into fossil hunting…let alone knowledgeable!! :) I wish I had someone to go with that was though!

Amfed.org lists rock and fossil clubs by state.  See where they are relative to you and go to a couple of meetings