Central Texas Tooth ID - T. proriger ?

Cambjm06

Found this one while on my morning walk creek walk with my dogs. Recent heavy rains, so I'm guessing it washed out of the bank within the last week. It was just sitting on the gravel bar. I have another post with a recent find that the group identified as “Mosasaur indet. cf. Tylosaurus sp.” This tooth felt noticeably heavier than my other find. It weighs 16.1g on my coffee scale. Last pic included of other finds. I'm thinking T. proriger, but am new to this and would love to know more about it.  @Jared C @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

IMG_2564.JPG

IMG_2563.JPG

IMG_2562.JPG

IMG_2561.JPG

IMG_2239.thumb.jpg.e0f9a50a7221ede5408a3bddbd38ca29.jpg

• Enjoyed 3

hooooly smokes! Very unusual for people starting out to be finding so many mosasaur teeth! That's an impressive specimen. Being Austin Chalk or Ozan, I would guess T. proriger based on knowledge of the fauna in the area. I'm not super familiar with the diagnostic qualities of individual teeth, especially when they're a posterior tooth such as this one. 

• Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

For comparison, from your linked post.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The absence of the top enamel layer makes it hard to establish some of the diagnostic features you'd use in identifying such a tooth. However, looking at the narrow dental cavity visible at the base of the tooth, this is definitely a mosasaur tooth. Moreover, with the round conical shape and mesially and dorsally located carinae I'd say that indeed another Tylosaurus sp. would be the most likely candidate. Seeing as the area you found this in, Tylosaurus proriger would be the prime suspect ;)

Awesome find! Seems you've got an eye for them! :default_clap2:

• I found this Informative 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett