Identification of 2 possible fossils

Jessievp

Hi! Total newbie here so sorry for the noob questions :) We made a trip to France (Normandy) near Cap Blanc and found some fossils. I've tried looking online to identify them but as I don't have any knowledge about it it's looking for a needle in a haystack... Can someone help me with the identification with these 2. I'm not sure the tube-like stone is even a fossil or not just some bead we found from someone's necklace... :') It's hollow all the way through. Thanks in advance!

PXL_20220827_115938982.jpg

PXL_20220827_115933647.jpg

PXL_20220827_115907543.jpg

PXL_20220827_115843229.jpg

Just now, Jessievp said:

Hi! Total newbie here so sorry for the noob questions :) We made a trip to France (Normandy) near Cap Blanc and found some fossils. I've tried looking online to identify them but as I don't have any knowledge about it it's looking for a needle in a haystack... Can someone help me with the identification with these 2. I'm not sure the tube-like stone is even a fossil or not just some bead we found from someone's necklace... :') It's hollow all the way through. Thanks in advance!

PXL_20220827_115938982.jpg

PXL_20220827_115933647.jpg

PXL_20220827_115907543.jpg

PXL_20220827_115843229.jpg

Not sure about the first - but the pattern on the second looks incredibly similar to the madagascar ammonite I’ve seen, once they’ve been polished. So I’m willing to bet it’s a piece of an ammonite. Could be totally off, though!

• I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

As Meganuera said, The second is clearly a piece of ammonite because of the clear suture pattern.  The first might not be a fossil .

• Thank You 1

When I zoom in on your first piece, I do see some places that make me think it may be a section of fossil bone, but I can't tell what it could be from.

The first one is very worn/polished and totally lacks any detail. Hard to say with any certainty if fossil or not. Someone familiar with fossils of that area may be able to give us a hint, but I wouldn't count on an ID. The second one is definitely a fragment of an ammonite. The "dendrite-like" suture pattern is an identifying characteristic.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!