Advice for Obtaining Fossil Hunting Permission

Thecosmilia Trichitoma

I have recently been researching several local road cuts that expose fossils, and am interested in obtaining written permission/ a permit from Caltrans to surface collect there. I would like to know if this is possible for an amateur collector, and if anyone has personal experience obtaining collecting permission from government agencies. I would also appreciate any recommendations for obtaining this permission/ information to give when applying. Thank you!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

If you are asking a govt agency to allow you to do ANYTHING, its pretty much going to be "no".  Most state transportation agencies do not allow stopping on roadsides unless in an emergency situation.  Many places you can be fined.  Also, this falls into the "removing archeological/paleontological resources from state land" which is typically a blanket "no".

• Thank You 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

2 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

If you are asking a govt agency to allow you to do ANYTHING, its pretty much going to be "no".  Most state transportation agencies do not allow stopping on roadsides unless in an emergency situation.  Many places you can be fined.  Also, this falls into the "removing archeological/paleontological resources from state land" which is typically a blanket "no".

Although there is the possibility of getting a collection permit, I assumed that that it was impossible. The main reason I asked was due to the listing of several California laws pertaining to individual collection on the website ( this was probably just to make sure that nothing was accidentally left out.) Thank you for your clarification!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Have you joined a local rock and gem or paleontological society? They sometimes can get access to areas normally closed to the public.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

18 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Have you joined a local rock and gem or paleontological society? They sometimes can get access to areas normally closed to the public.

Neither SocalPaleo nor the San Diego Mineral and Gem Society do field trips near San Diego (I am considering joining SocalPaleo for the bulletin though.)

Edited by Thecosmilia Trichitoma

-Mark Twain

You will not get a state or federal permit issued to just you as an individual.  If you collect in association with a museum or college/university and/or with PHD paleontologist/paleontologists/geologist/geologists etc., after unending paperwork, you can get state or federal permits in association with them.  You will not be able to personally keep anything, with everything collected having to go into a museum/university/college etc. collection as stated in the permit.    The easiest way is to get your name added to an existing permit, which will only happen if you have done a lot of volunteer work and/or made a lot of donations to the permit holder.  My sons and I have been added to a number of existing permits because we personally know the others on the permit and have done lots of volunteer field work and make lots of donations.  We don't get to keep any specimens found collecting under the permits.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 3

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png