Hell Creek limb bone?

CM8

Hi folks, 

Anyone have any bright ideas on what this is and what species it might be from? 8 inch limb bone(?) fragment. According to the seller it's from the Montana portion of the Hell Creek formation. Both ends appear broken off, but I'm not sure if the bone features on the inside of the curve can help with ID at all?

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

It's from a theropod, the curvature most likely suggest forelimb.   Do you have a locality that defines it being from the Hell Creek other than Montana.

• I found this Informative 1

The general shape suggests humerus to me, but without the articular ends its going to be very hard to determine.  Hollow means it should be theropod, and the small size is suggestive of something in the dromaeosaur line.  Of course, again, this is guessing based off an incomplete bone without a good provenance.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Interesting, thanks guys - unfortunately I don't have any further information on locality, I'll shoot the seller a message to see if he knows more.

Thanks that's Hell Creek.  There are a number of Theropods it can fit but like hadrosauridae said without the ends not sure you will get an definitive answer.

One possibility is Struthiomimus, here is the forearm with a scale.  The humerus is on the far left that you can compare against.  My best bet.

BHI personal photo

DbOb2guVQAAXivO-1.thumb.jpeg.f3a9cecb31757cbe731a096c020436cd.jpeg

Other possibilities include Anzu wileyi but the humerus is very different.

A bone that size is a bit big even for large raptor but it does not compare well with the Dromaeosaurid Dakotaraptor

DePalma et al. (2015)

Screenshot_20220828-154922_Drive.thumb.jpg.5dc2abf26ce97d86cf08e7fc3b8dcbc7.jpg

I see, thanks! It does look quite similar to the Struthiomimus humerus in terms of the curvature and widening at the top.