What did I find at Lake Texoma?

Bill Hoddson

Just got home from a sorrowful trip to Texas. I stopped at the Denison Dam on Lake Texoma for a relaxing hunt.  I did find some oysters  (brought one home for my grandson), and found a nice exterior mold of an ammonite.  However, there was one piece I saw and photographed that I'm not sure what it was.  I'd have brought it home, but I noticed two cottonmouths too close for comfort. 

The object was approximately 6"×10" (15×24 cm).  Although it was in jumbled rip-rap, I believe it from the Duck Creek Formation.

I hope the photo is clear enough. 

IMG_0779.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

The rip-rap there could be from a number of places and is likely to be a harder limestone than you usually see in the Duck Creek.

• I found this Informative 1

Yeah, riprap is typically brought in from other locations and used for its durability. Typically a granitic type of rock.  The fossil impression would be very hard to ID without knowing exactly where it came from.  Hunting around Texoma can take some effort.  All the easy places are walked and scoured consistently. Best bet is to spend some time walking the shoreline to get away from where most people look.

• Enjoyed 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

15 minutes ago, debivort said:

6'' x 10'' would be a huge bivalve, right? Could this be a coral?

I'm not very knowledgeable on Texas fossils, but very familiar with Paleozoic corals from the Michigan Basin.  This specimen doesn't appear to have any coraline features I'm familiar with.

The specimen is not only curved, but was also concave across the 6" axis.

Bivalves can get quite large, Inoceramus and Rudist can get up to 6ft +,  and you know everything is bigger in Texas. :)

il_570xN.3579677367_6l32.jpg

Edited by Lone Hunter
  • Enjoyed 2

17 minutes ago, Lone Hunter said:

Bivalves can get quite large, Inoceramus and Rudist can get up to 6ft +,  and you know everything is bigger in Texas. :)

Fair enough. There are some tabulate corals I could imagine being preserved in the form of this find. like the first image here: https://paleoaerie.org/tag/tabulate-coral/  But I'm speculating out over my skis on this one.