I believe this is an Osteoderm

stricklandhighland

I keep finding these along with several other very sections of some specific armoured sauropod in my back yard. Springtown Tx

Puluxy..Twin Mountains 

IMG_20220818_082217798.jpg

Sorry, but thats not an osteoderm.  It has zero characteristics of bone or dermal armor.  This is just a rock.  Most likely a water-worn river rock.

• I Agree 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Agreed. Osteoderms are (by definition) bones that grow in the skin (unarticulated to other bones). This rock appears to be a water-worn sedimentary rock with no signs of bone texture. It takes more than being suggestively shaped to be an osteoderm. If you are finding many of these in your back yard then likely they are the result of some ancient water feature (lake or river) that rounded and polished these rocks.

Cheers.

-Ken

57 minutes ago, digit said:

Agreed. Osteoderms are (by definition) bones that grow in the skin (unarticulated to other bones). This rock appears to be a water-worn sedimentary rock with no signs of bone texture. It takes more than being suggestively shaped to be an osteoderm. If you are finding many of these in your back yard then likely they are the result of some ancient water feature (lake or river) that rounded and polished these rocks.

Cheers.

-Ken

IMG_20220830_101025513.jpg