ID: Two vertebrae found, lake lavon, tx

Lakefun42069

Hello, I found these fossils on the lake shore which is receding pretty far this year. The battery is 65mm in length, for scale. 

Pretty cool  B)  the bigger one has a hole going through the spinal column

98wwJH0.jpeg

FCJ0N4T.jpeg

hPbEiQO.jpeg

i8DNPIO.jpeg

kGT3FNp.jpeg

VackwA2.jpeg

YsQdP0x.jpeg

zsH4XAB.jpeg

Thanks B)

• Enjoyed 2

See any silicified wood? I have wondered what age and formation it is from. I suppose that it could sort of been a lag deposit from former younger formations that were there but eroded away. Wood is common in the Eocene formations to the south. Has anyone seen silicified wood actually in the nearby Cretaceous Formations such as the Austin Chalk?

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Mosasaur huh. That's what the guy on imgur said too. They look like they are from the same specimen, I bet there's more

3 minutes ago, Lakefun42069 said:

Mosasaur huh. That's what the guy on imgur said too. They look like they are from the same specimen, I bet there's more

Sure. They occasionally turn up when lake levels low. Lake sits on Ozan formation just like the NSR.

Edited by Creek - Don
  • I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

See any silicified wood? I have wondered what age and formation it is from. I suppose that it could sort of been a lag deposit from former younger formations that were there but eroded away. Wood is common in the Eocene formations to the south. Has anyone seen silicified wood actually in the nearby Cretaceous Formations such as the Austin Chalk?

Yea there's little stuff like this all over the place around here 

16618974234414326442912648001670.jpg

Sweet mosasaur verts! I have looked for some along the shores of Lavon to no avail, you're lucky to find such a good spot :)