Is this a Theropod Vertebra?

jikohr

Hi everyone!

I acquired this Vertebra a few months ago. It's from the Hell Creek of Powder River County, Montana. The seller listed it as Theropod and I was hoping to make sure. It measures 3 cm long, 2.6 cm tall, and 3.2/3.5 cm wide on the centrums. So what do you all think? Any feedback is greatly appreciated as always!

IMG_2864.thumb.JPG.971d6b19ff5a25881ecc26917d541456.JPGIMG_2863.thumb.JPG.f79d38eb9461d3d4b0cba57936b72ae7.JPGIMG_2865.thumb.JPG.8ea258feb3c52b8bc00f26819b463754.JPGIMG_2866.thumb.JPG.5431b3c0a5b74ddcbfcd2eb7ccae15fa.JPGIMG_2867.thumb.JPG.2c7214af3bad039d19f7b89f7946246c.JPGIMG_2868.thumb.JPG.cc6f1c4cd8e0aaab2d6c52bb0412ffaa.JPGIMG_2869.thumb.JPG.8919c2037b83f43dd63c5c19cbda1e29.JPG

• Enjoyed 1

I wish we had more comparative material to look at in the HC would make identification of these type of bones a bit easier.  Is the centrum coated or just wet has that glare in the photos.

Anyway,  the honeycomb structure of the centrum coupled with the pneumatic fossa is usually characteristic of a theropod.  A couple of groups that comes to mind with kind of that shape and fossa: Dromaeosaurids and Caenagnathids .  It's not a Tyrannosaurid or Ornithomimid. 

4 minutes ago, Styles said:

@Troodon not sure if this is already a thing, but would love to see a tour of your collection

Well here is part of it. 

• Enjoyed 1

14 hours ago, Troodon said:

I wish we had more comparative material to look at in the HC would make identification of these type of bones a bit easier.  Is the centrum coated or just wet has that glare in the photos.

Anyway,  the honeycomb structure of the centrum coupled with the pneumatic fossa is usually characteristic of a theropod.  A couple of groups that comes to mind with kind of that shape and fossa: Dromaeosaurids and Caenagnathids .  It's not a Tyrannosaurid or Ornithomimid. 

Thanks man!

Yeah I believe the bone was coated to stabilize it.

Just now, Troodon said:

Overdone

Good to know.

While I have your attention, would it be possible for you to take a look at this one as well? I posted it back in July and no one ever responded. I understand if you're busy.

I agree with troodon… overdone on the preservative.  I don’t understand why folks want to make these things shiny.  Nice bone, though.