Muffinsaurus

Found in Kentucky along AA Highway, Ordovician, Kope formation.

I took it because it looked like a weird eyeball thing. I didn't think it was a fossil, just a weird rock, until I cleaned it off and found a bunch of trilobite bits on it. So that had me wondering if it was a trace fossil or if there might be something inside if I chipped away at the shape.

Honestly I'm kinda itching to see if there is anything inside it. As it sorta, to my untrained eye, looks like something fell into the water about an eon ago and got covered up. However I don't want to take the Dremel to it if it is more or less just a trace without chance of anything being locked away in there.

So I'm just trying to get the thoughts on it from other people way more knowledgeable than me about the matter.

Thanks in advance.

20220831_031845.jpg

20220831_031914.jpg

Edited by Muffinsaurus
fixed pictures

I doubt there is enough information available to call this a trace fossil. It seems unlikely that you will find a recognizable body fossil inside though. To me it seems more likely to be concretion left by something that eroded away, or was never well preserved.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I doubt there is enough information available to call this a trace fossil. It seems unlikely that you will find a recognizable body fossil inside though. To me it seems more likely to be concretion left by something that eroded away, or was never well preserved.

Thanks! Perhaps it would be best I just leave it as is and call it a stone eye :heartylaugh:

Looks to me like a poorly preserved brachiopod internal mold. 

But I suffer from brachiopareidolia, so who knows? 

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png