Is this a fossil?

Backintheusa

I found this in my backyard when planting a garden.  I live in Eastern Long Island, on the South Fork.  The fossil/rock is heavy with an irregular surface that makes me suspect it is a fossil rather than a rock.  A previous owner of the property had a rock garden, so it is possible that this came from them.  It was also right next to a recently constructed garage, so it might have been unearthed when the garage foundations was being built.  Any help identifying it will be be appreciated.

Jim

IMG_6225.JPG

IMG_6226.JPG

IMG_6224.JPG

IMG_6214.JPG

I think it's a rock. It looks like the odd shaped rocks I pull out of the creek behind my house, but I'm no expert. So I'd wait for someone else to chime in on it.

No, I think its fossil.  Its certainly strange looking, but I see a lot of elements of bone in that.  I would certainly stop and pay attention to it if I found that while scouting a dino site!  In fact, it looks way more like a fossil than the piece of triceratops frill I just found.

Edited by hadrosauridae
  • I found this Informative 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Looks like rock to me as well.  :unsure:

• I Agree 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to TFF from Austria!

Strange!

First thought was slag.

Second thought was bone.

Third thought was - First and second thoughts are nonsense :D.

I really have no idea. More data are needed:

- Close-up of the broken area in pic #4.

- Is it magnetic?

- Whats the specific gravity / density? Can you make a specific gravity determination. All that is needed is kitchen scale to 1 g, a fine string and a beaker.

Edit: Ok, I am seeing a grainy texture in the 4th pic and some curvature to the fabric. Preliminary hypothesis is, that this is a fine grained, folded metamorph rock (gneiss) with a dark patina.

Franz Bernhard

Edited by FranzBernhard
  • Enjoyed 1

As far as I understand it, no dinosaurs have ever been found on Long Island, so I wouldn't get my hopes up there. This thing is so mysterious to me that I doubt it's possible to come to a final conclusion about its identity unless a real expert can make any sense out of it here. I would suggest taking it to your nearest Natural History Museum for analysis.

• I Agree 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I agree with @Ludwigia. I think you're going to need someone to hold it in hand to give you a positive ID.

But it does have some elements that resemble fossil more than rock to me.  And I think Pleistocene fossil material has been found around long island, although they may just be marine, which I know nothing about.

Almost reminds me of a worn osteoderm from the turtle family.

Edited by Brandy Cole
Left out important description

So do i.

Besides, welcome.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

Thanks, everyone.  I am happy to at least know that, at the very least, this is intriguing to those who know more than me.  I am not home at the moment but will take some more photos and measure the specific gravity when I return next week.  Beyond that, I think the general consensus is correct that this needs to be seen by an expert.  I suspect that will require taking it into Manhattan, but I will also check closer to home.  Manhattan is a three hour trip, so I'll probably have to wait for another reason to head to the city.

More to follow...