Collected 30 Years Ago In Woodstock Ontario

GarethGP

Like the title says, I collected this when I was a kid in Woodstock Ontario. Not sure what I'm looking at exactly. I'm thinking the bigger thing is horn coral of some kind?

received_655470566096090.jpeg

received_492148012688937.jpeg

received_746754169754606.jpeg

received_371314311877681.jpeg

Very Interesting! I agree that you have a horn coral, which appears to be associated, with what I think is another type of coral. I have not seen anything like this before.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Yup. A really interesting rugose (horn) coral associated with some beautifully textured colonial corals. Someone with an idea of the formations exposed in Woodstock, Ontario can probably deduce the ID on the colonial coral. Really nice piece. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

Woodstock is but a stone’s toss from me. Formations are all Devonian in age, ranging from some Amherstburg, a thick amount of Lucas, and Dundee.

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The colonial coral looks a lot like unpolished “Sun Coral” (Acerfularia sp.) to me. I’ve only seen specimens labeled for sale online so I don’t know much about them. The specimens I’ve seen for sale come from Morocco and are Devonian in age.

Maybe there is a variety of Acerfularia found in the Devonian of Woodstock?

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)