Tooth id tyrannosaurid, or Dromaeosaurid? Hell creek form

Sergiorex

This small tooth was found in powder county, it measures a little over half a inch and I wanted help with identification . Seller listed as either Nanotyrannus or Tyrannosaurus rex. I also think it’s most likely tyrannosaurid, and I wanted to know whether it’s tyrannosaurid and if it is whether it’s more likely to be Nanotyrannus or Tyrannosaurus rex. Im assuming it’s just a indeterminate tyrannosaurid because of the base damage and size, but please let me know you opinions. 

7928343C-8212-47BB-AB12-F8191C05FF70.jpeg

E557BA4C-3E01-43FC-AE00-52B907F9486C.jpeg

3D5DC2DC-13CF-4665-8CE9-609270E6DE01.jpeg

1C3E8B77-11AA-4816-B96F-879BB3468E71.jpeg

7350DFEF-2B12-4147-A5E6-3F6B4A3A57AE.jpeg

I can't make any comments on the ID until you have serration densities, and have better resolution of the denticles. Pictures of the tooth unobscured by fingers would also be better.

Edited by ThePhysicist

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

Yes I agree you cannot say much with all these obtuse, out of focus finger photos and no data to support a diagnosis.   Could be a Dromaeosaurid, Tyrannosaurid or might just be one of those indeterminate teeth from the HC.  

I looked at the listing and it does even have a size and its Powder River County, MT, not Powder .  Anyway, I would be surprised if he's going to provide you what is needed to try to ID this tooth.   Buy it if you like it and we can work from there but assume worst case that its an indeterminate theropod.

• Enjoyed 1

Ok, and btw I said powder to try abbreviate it. Anyways thanks for the help, I’m probably not gonna buy it if you wondering as they are asking for quite a bit for a tiny indeterminate tooth and even if I got it I have no tools to  provide the data.

8 minutes ago, Sergiorex said:

I got it I have no tools to  provide the data.

Let me suggest if you are going to collect dinosaur teeth its best to have a metric scale and invest in a USB scope.     Really inexpensive items and will help significantly in identification of teeth and verification of what is sent to you.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1