Tales From the Shale

It's been a busy summer out here in Wisconsin, but fortunately I was able to make multiple trips out to Oglesby in Illinois. Here were some of the top finds.

20220901_220941.thumb.jpg.2aa0337924eb74c9f3fd9b716da900ec.jpg

Perepristis semicircularis, found on my second trip. The chip on the top was from my unlucky Dremel stroke. The white dots on the left are not damage, but tooth coloration.

20220901_215934.thumb.jpg.3ffdc1302ac79e8315b26d71db6948df.jpg

My first and only connularid, of unknown affinity. I'm pleased to have this despite it being fragmentary.

20220901_220232.thumb.jpg.63b3e00fa9c3bf33ac93b30d543ec3a3.jpg

What I believe to be an ameura trilobite pygidium, nicely preserved.

20220901_221224.thumb.jpg.e6571735fb8e43f878f811afc844ad54.jpg

Composita argentia found a ton of these, but this rock contained a nice presentation of them.

20220901_220502.thumb.jpg.a75ba9b09b7154a2e13efa1d7e8cb3bd.jpg

This nice complete large brachiopod. I'd give a name, but I've seen it called like three different names in other posts, so I'm not sure myself.

20220901_220701.thumb.jpg.984de7e5da05219bd34c969b799a7a84.jpg

A nice whole neospirifer, mostly whole anyways.

20220901_221033.thumb.jpg.8229657d819cb8daf9556e6f8e271598.jpg

Lastly something I wanted to show, it almost looks like a younger smaller version of those giant brachiopods like from image five.

I have about 50 pounds of rock from Oglesby now, and most of that has yet to prepped, which my family is really happy about seeing in the garage I assure you.

• Enjoyed 7

I'm not really sure what was going on- I was taking to my friend about them and just happened to stumble onto it 

• Enjoyed 1

Very nice finds. :b_love1:

Thank you for sharing. 

Lucky guy, finding that trilobit. :Luck:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Outstanding finds, now you are cooking! Although Peripristis is one of the most common teeth from this site, it is also one of the most attractive- my personal favorite find from there is a specimen quite similar to yours. 

I am inclined to say that the largest brachiopods there should be classified as Echinaria, although I have seen them identified as Echinoconchus (and I have probably posted that ID myself in the past). If you want to read the relevant literature on this specific site, Stephen Brusatte published one paper on the brachiopods and one on the sharks: 

A Preliminary Paleoecological Investigation of Late Pennsylvanian Brachiopods from the LaSalle Limestone, LaSalle County, Illinois 

Pennsylvanian (Late Carboniferous) chondrichthyans from the LaSalle Limestone Member (Bond Formation) of Illinois, USA

I would be happy to send you pdf files if you can't get access to them otherwise. Hope to run into you at the site sometime- I will be back out again once the temps drop and the vegetation dies back. 

• Enjoyed 1

2 hours ago, deutscheben said:

Outstanding finds, now you are cooking! Although Peripristis is one of the most common teeth from this site, it is also one of the most attractive- my personal favorite find from there is a specimen quite similar to yours. 

I am inclined to say that the largest brachiopods there should be classified as Echinaria, although I have seen them identified as Echinoconchus (and I have probably posted that ID myself in the past). If you want to read the relevant literature on this specific site, Stephen Brusatte published one paper on the brachiopods and one on the sharks: 

A Preliminary Paleoecological Investigation of Late Pennsylvanian Brachiopods from the LaSalle Limestone, LaSalle County, Illinois 

Pennsylvanian (Late Carboniferous) chondrichthyans from the LaSalle Limestone Member (Bond Formation) of Illinois, USA

I would be happy to send you pdf files if you can't get access to them otherwise. Hope to run into you at the site sometime- I will be back out again once the temps drop and the vegetation dies back. 

Any info on the Bond formation is much appreciated. I ended up finding out about Peripristis through a paper detailing the four main chondricthyian fish found in this area. Thank you for the info,

Jonah

16 hours ago, Tales From the Shale said:

which my family is really happy about seeing in the garage I assure you.

I feel your pain. Many times in the past have I suffered the slings and arrows. . . 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!