Gabby Collins

I think you do have a section of crinoid stem, especially visible in the second and third photos.

Edited by Mochaccino

7 minutes ago, Mochaccino said:

I think you do have a section of crinoid stem, especially visible in the second and third photos.

I agree, but there are, what looks like lobes of a lung visible as well. I know the probability of them being actual fossilized lungs are extremely low. But what would they be?

16 minutes ago, Gabby Collins said:

I agree, but there are, what looks like lobes of a lung visible as well. I know the probability of them being actual fossilized lungs are extremely low. But what would they be?

Are you referring to this?

20B75836-DB0C-4125-8C23-17DCF3C03C59.thumb.jpeg.b7a65c34aed3463061a95a579e2b7b88.jpeg

I don't know but I don't think crinoid and highly doubt they're lungs, especially being associated with crinoid stem. I think perhaps geological and not fossil at all, or some sort of cast made from other marine life like brachiopod/bivalve/coral. More experienced members can probably shed more light.

Edited by Mochaccino

The lower left half of the bit outlined in red looks 'echinodermy' to me. Maybe the base of a cystoid calyx?

I'm not sure the piece above and to the right of it is connected, perhaps a brachiopod valve fragment. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Mochaccino said:

Are you referring to this?

20B75836-DB0C-4125-8C23-17DCF3C03C59.thumb.jpeg.b7a65c34aed3463061a95a579e2b7b88.jpeg

I don't know but I don't think crinoid and highly doubt they're lungs, especially being associated with crinoid stem. I think perhaps geological and not fossil at all, or some sort of cast made from other marine life like brachiopod/bivalve/coral. More experienced members can probably shed more light.

This looks more like a beekite encrusted solitary rugose “horn” coral to me. 

• I Agree 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Crinoids don't have lungs, or hearts. They use a water-circulatory system for distributing pretty well everything.

9 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

This looks more like a beekite encrusted solitary rugose “horn” coral to me. 

Had to look up "beekite" since I hadn't heard of it before, interesting, and that seems reasonable.

• Enjoyed 1

1 hour ago, Mochaccino said:

Had to look up "beekite" since I hadn't heard of it before, interesting, and that seems reasonable.

I had to look it up too when I first came across someone mentioning beekite. Here is a link to a thread with lots of neat examples of the stuff, and me mentioning the need to look it up myself. ;) 

Edited by FossilNerd
  • I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)