Some Norton formation(?) plant finds in Buchanan VA and questions from a novice

Fen

So I found a collapsed shale and sandstone pile off the side of the road and it seems to have some neat stuff.  This seems to be falling from a layer about 100 feet up on the road cut so unfortunately its mostly shattered and cracked through the layers instead of along the flats of them.  A lot of it seems to be similar to the "Kentucky coal fields" finds you see online with the grey shale and black specimens, but some of it seems very different.  Below are some attached pictures with nothing done to the specimens other than a decent brushing.  What appear to be Neoropteris leaves, branches, fern tree roots mostly.  Some really odd Bright orange tree bark with iridescent shine that I can't find anything to compare too in terms of color.  They're extremely fragile and I'm already gluing some of the cracked ones back together.

I really haven't had much a a chance to find fossils in over a decade, so preparation is a bit new to me.  What I'm wondering is, after I clean and chip away a bit more rock off of some of these, if just throwing paraloid on them is good.  And I question that because of the odd colors in some of these.  I see some white specks in the sunlight that may be pyrite, Some appear to have bits of coal inside or stuck to the outside, and I don't know what to make of these bright shining blue and orange tree specimens and whether or not any special precautions will be needed to preserve them.  Hoping to get some advice.  Even though these may not be spectacular finds I'd like to practice on them for when I find something bigger and nicer.

IMG_0631.JPG

IMG_0635.JPG

IMG_0636.JPG

IMG_0638.JPG

IMG_0641.JPG

IMG_0643.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

• Enjoyed 2

Cool finds! It's always interesting to see how similar yet different Pennsylvanian age stuff is from the Mississippian plants I mostly collected. Lots of lycopods, but there weren't any of the cool ferns.

The material these are preserved in look pretty much identical to the stuff I found my Mississippian plants in, so I assume my advice would hold true for these. Honestly the ones in the hard sandstone are pretty solid and don't need much in the form of preparation. There might be more exposed under the sandstone, but I've found the rock to be too hard for it to be worth the effort. 

From my experience the shale specimens were extremely fragile, and there wasn't a whole lot you could do besides being very careful when you handled them. Fortunately, most of my finds were fragments, and the lycopods were big enough that they were more stable. Your shale looks thicker, so maybe some mineral tack might help "glue" pieces together? I'd avoid applying anything to the surface, since a lot of times these plant fossils are carbon films and it's easy to scrape them off or ruin their appearance.