Possible Plesiosaur/Pliosaur Tooth from UK

Alston Gee

Both of the teeth came from the White Limestone, Traditional Layer, Great Oolite Series, Bathonian of Oxfordshire, UK. Any thoughts on the identity of these teeth? Are they crocodile teeth or plesiosaur/pliosaur teeth?

tooth1.jpeg.a2834fa681c28a3b777ec5f3e2b12667.jpegtooth2.jpeg.5b07da56b922aa4e91dbda89d4685c87.jpeg

Edited by Alston Gee
add img.

I've previously identified both of these as teleosaurid crocodile teeth for the fact that the teeth have carinae, which don't occur on plesiosaur teeth.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

2 minutes ago, Alston Gee said:

Here is a tooth from Goulmima, Morocco. The tooth could either be polycotylid plesiosaur or Brachauchenius lucasi. What’s your thoughts on it? @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon

6EE98B02-3023-4C82-A5EC-374961E2A925.jpeg

CC45332F-87F1-4365-80B9-A13CCCAFADA6.jpeg

189BEA5F-C448-4CD6-9E95-197680D38220.jpeg

95699EDB-043B-480C-BDA1-68E570B603D8.jpeg

BAF625F9-6E85-429A-BBD4-D8BACE817256.jpeg

This tooth is labeled as “Manemergus anguirostris”, but I can’t find adequate  information about this species.

Have a look at the below post, in which I illustrate the visual differences between the three types of plesiosaur teeth found in the Akrabou Formation - that is, brachauchenine pliosaur (Brachauchenius lucasi is an exclusively US-based species), the elasmosaur Libonectes atlasense, and polycotylid (both Manemergus anguirostris and Thililua longicollis):

The tooth you present here is a bit tricky to identify due to the state it's in, as you'd use presence/absence of carinae and the nature of the striae to arrive at an ID. However, since the visible striations don't run the full length of the tooth - which they typically do in Moroccan brachauchenine pliosaurs - and the tooth is, moreover, more heavily compressed than most pliosaur teeth are, I'd say this is a polycotylid teeth. That having been said, I myself have also not yet been able to figure out how to differentiate between the teeth of Thililua longicollis and Manemergus anguirostris. So "polycotylidae indet." it will need to remain...

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett