Peace River tooth ID - horse, bison, camel?

Meganeura

Forgot to ask about this one yesterday! Just a fragment, but hopefully enough for an ID - my initial thought was bison but I’m sure horse is also possible!

61B82CE8-6F86-46C6-A513-3776C0297EA9.thumb.jpeg.889fd68452b2a4d9415fa9fc17a928c4.jpeg

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

Almost definitely a fragment of an upper tooth from a horse. The design on your tooth is either the prefossette or the post-fossette. Both are the circular ridges of enamel on the half of each of the upper teeth closest to the cheek. 

Edited by GPayton
  • Thank You 1

10 minutes ago, GPayton said:

Almost definitely a fragment of an upper tooth from a horse. The design on your tooth is either the prefossette or the post-fossette. Both are the circular ridges of enamel on the half of each of the upper teeth closest to the cheek. 

This is the problem with finding too many lower molars - I have very few references for upper teeth :heartylaugh: Much appreciated though!

• Enjoyed 1

8 minutes ago, Meganeura said:

This is the problem with finding too many lower molars - I have very few references for upper teeth :heartylaugh: Much appreciated though!

I can't recommend Dr. Richard Hulbert's book about the vertebrate fossils of Florida enough! Even though I'm in Texas a lot of the Pleistocene fauna here was the same as it was in Florida, so I use it all the time to help ID finds. I can't remember if it has as many detailed drawings of bison and camel teeth as it does for horses but they're definitely written about a fair deal. 

9 minutes ago, GPayton said:

I can't recommend Dr. Richard Hulbert's book about the vertebrate fossils of Florida enough! Even though I'm in Texas a lot of the Pleistocene fauna here was the same as it was in Florida, so I use it all the time to help ID finds. I can't remember if it has as many detailed drawings of bison and camel teeth as it does for horses but they're definitely written about a fair deal. 

Yeah I still really need to order it... seems easier than just asking Hulbert for IDs on things endlessly.