Butvar source

The-Good-Earth

Hi - I’ve had a hard time locating museum quality butvar - most particularly the the high molecular weight versions B-98.   Could anyone point me to a source that could supply in less than large bulk quantity?

many thanks in advance.

Edited by The-Good-Earth
Missing info

why do you want B-98?  The standard type used in fossil prep is B-76

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

If you can use Paraloid this is a good source for smaller quantities.

https://shop.kremerpigments.com/us/contact/

awesome! thanks for the link.  Its always good to have more sources (especially since TALAS is OOS on paraloid right now)

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I have not had occasion to use this product.  Research tells me it’s a poly meth/eth acrylic which to me sounds like superglue.   I have had problems with superglue adhesion on many silica-based objects in the past and am wary of it’s rigidity upon setting.   Am I incorrect in my reading?

5 minutes ago, The-Good-Earth said:

I have not had occasion to use this product.  Research tells me it’s a poly meth/eth acrylic which to me sounds like superglue.   I have had problems with superglue adhesion on many silica-based objects in the past and am wary of it’s rigidity upon setting.   Am I incorrect in my reading?

Super glue is a cyano-acrylate compound. Paraloid and Butvar are acrylics, minus the cyanide, that are soluble in alcohol, toluene and/or acetone that evaporate rather quickly leaving the acrylic behind. Cyanoacrylate adhesives depend on a chemical reaction with water to create a long polymer chain, and can be slightly toxic depending on the chemical formula. There are a few different types with varying properties. Google is your friend on this one. Check it out.

• I Agree 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

21 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

awesome! thanks for the link.  Its always good to have more sources (especially since TALAS is OOS on paraloid right now)

I was having trouble finding Paraloid in stock, but just got some from https://www.conservationresources.com/

• Thank You 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.