Moroccan phosphates croc tooth

Notidanodon

Without knowing what bed in the phosphates that came from, It might not be possible to ID it to species because there might be more than one genus in each of the Late Cretaceous, the Early Paleocene, the Late Paleocene, and the Early Eocene layers.  Isolated croc teeth can be tough enough when you do know the source bed.  Dealers don't tend to get good locality info for Moroccan phosphate fossils.  Some do try to get that info.  Sometimes, you can get lucky and find people who collected the fossils themselves and know the geology.

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, siteseer said:

Without knowing what bed in the phosphates that came from, It might not be possible to ID it to species because there might be more than one genus in each of the Late Cretaceous, the Early Paleocene, the Late Paleocene, and the Early Eocene layers.  Isolated croc teeth can be tough enough when you do know the source bed.  Dealers don't tend to get good locality info for Moroccan phosphate fossils.  Some do try to get that info.  Sometimes, you can get lucky and find people who collected the fossils themselves and know the geology.

Thanks Jess ;) I was hoping there was something distinctive about it maybe @pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon might know

Seeing as this comes from the phosphates and clearly isn't Maroccosuchus zennaroi, I'd say this is a dyrosaurid tooth, some of which can bear concave facets, as in the tooth here:

Based off of the list that @Anomotodon compiled in the thread below, I'd say it's Atlantosuchus coupatezi. That having been said, I have been wrong in the past, when it comes to crocodile teeth from the phosphates...

• I found this Informative 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 9/12/2022 at 11:57 AM, pachy-pleuro-whatnot-odon said:

Seeing as this comes from the phosphates and clearly isn't Maroccosuchus zennaroi, I'd say this is a dyrosaurid tooth, some of which can bear concave facets, as in the tooth here:

Based off of the list that @Anomotodon compiled in the thread below, I'd say it's Atlantosuchus coupatezi. That having been said, I have been wrong in the past, when it comes to crocodile teeth from the phosphates...

Thanks so much this is very useful ;)