Help - How do I remove this coarse tar-like substance?

Mr.dogdad

Hello, I am hoping someone can help me!

I have a Daspletosaurus tooth from the old man formation.

It was found with a coarse, tar like substance stuck around the tooth (shown in photos) that won’t come off. 
I’ve tried rubbing acetone but that didn’t work.

I tried picking a piece off but the enamel came with it.

Are there any alternative methods I can use without risking any damage to the tooth?

B31FA99A-E0E0-48D5-AF6B-D097D96206A9.jpeg

C06933D3-229B-497A-ADA9-DAF6A5203D1E.jpeg

43F567D7-1133-433D-B041-D10C57A53F61.jpeg

51C57F52-1E79-444C-8B41-397C77B8CAFB.jpeg

A8DB32D6-167B-40EC-936F-2F935EC82C16.jpeg

• Enjoyed 1

Nice tooth.  I would have consolidated first then tried a sharp Xacto knife to see if I could pop off the tar.  Then..  If tar why not mineral spirts (it dissolves tar) with a cotton swab in a small spot.   You may want to try it one of your other broken ones to see if there is any reaction.    Lets see what others say.

I agree, it looks more like pyrite than tar.  If so, it may not want to come off at all without taking the enamel with it, as you have experienced.  This is pretty common in the late Cretaceous bones I deal with here in Wyoming, and it is often described using words not fit for family viewing.  

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, jpc said:

I agree, it looks more like pyrite than tar.  If so, it may not want to come off at all without taking the enamel with it, as you have experienced.  This is pretty common in the late Cretaceous bones I deal with here in Wyoming, and it is often described using words not fit for family viewing.  

Have you see pyrite on theropod teeth.  You will never get it off if it is

Looks like pyrite to me as well. It will not come off because it grows into the micro cracks in the tooth. The only thing you can do is remove it from the surface by grinding (wear a respirator). You will definitely want to give this tooth a soak in Paraloid to consolidate and hopefully seal it off from moisture that will let the pyrite decay.

• I found this Informative 1

Not much to be done with this tooth.  I wonder . . . Could the tooth be saved by imbedding it in colorless casting resin?  Would the pyrite growth be stopped?  Would the pyrite eventually "explode" the resin?  Would the tooth material be ground to bits within the constraining resin?  Anyone ever experimented with casting resin?

• Enjoyed 1

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Some questions:
How long is the tooth out of the ground?

Was or is there any white bloom, something like mold, on the tooth? This would be sulfates, resulting from the oxidation of pyrite/marcasite.

Could it be, that the pyrite/marcasite is already oxidized to "limonite"? This could have happend in the ground, but near the surface.

Franz Bernhard

Nothing compares to an in-situ shoot! Thank you!

More knowledgeable members have now something to ponder!

How long do you have the tooth in your collection?

Any white blooms since collecting? Any sulfurous, slightly stinging smell?

Its all about if there is any unstable pyrite/marcasite in the tooth or if the sulfide has already transformed to stable "limonite".

Franz Bernhard

• 4 weeks later...