Keep finding live springtails on my fossils

Misha

Hi all,

This may seem like a weird topic but I wanted to ask here because this keeps happening occasionally and I am unsure of what the cause behind it is and whether this could be of any concern.

When going through my fossil collection, whether it be putting new specimens up for display, looking through my collection, dusting pieces off, moving them, etc. I occasionally see small translucent white bugs slowly scuttling across the surface of them, I believe that these are springtails as that seems like the only plausible organism to be found there that also has that appearance and body shape.

I personally have no issue with the bugs, I like springtails, I think they're fascinating organisms and somewhat cute even. My question is where could all of them be coming from? My understanding is that they primarily feed on fungi and need lots of moisture to thrive, I understand maybe finding a couple of them a few days after pulling fossils fresh from the ground, but some of these seem to come out weeks or even months after these fossils have been laying on my shelves with little to no contact with fresher specimens. My display area is kept clean and dry so I really have no idea where they could bee coming from, is this any cause for concern? Has anyone else experienced anything like this? 
Thanks for looking and any replies,

Misha

f4106fe25440cb79349bc94431834014.jpg

I’ve bred springtails before and they die in dry conditions pretty quick. I’d guess they are living in your walls or foundation and coming through cracks.

• I found this Informative 1

I usually get those tiny red bugs on mine. Cant remember what they are called, but I recall the Native Americans used to use them to make red dye.

5 minutes ago, JimB88 said:

I usually get those tiny red bugs on mine. Cant remember what they are called, but I recall the Native Americans used to use them to make red dye.

Some kind of mite like clover mites maybe? I see them outside occasionally, don't think I've had any of them on my fossils at home

Silverfish eat some of my labels. Angry.gif.baab56963ef4a2f1146bd76353bf9199.gif

Regarding your springtails, you say your collection is kept dry, but what's the humidity like? 

• Enjoyed 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I bet there are eggs of theselittle guys on your fossils or nearby and that is how they get there.

Meanwhile, great photo of a truly small critters.  

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Silverfish eat some of my labels. Angry.gif.baab56963ef4a2f1146bd76353bf9199.gif

Regarding your springtails, you say your collection is kept dry, but what's the humidity like? 

It is rather humid here, although I don't know if that alone would allow them to survive

35 minutes ago, jpc said:

I bet there are eggs of theselittle guys on your fossils or nearby and that is how they get there.

Meanwhile, great photo of a truly small critters.  

That could be it. I'll have to monitor it a bit more closely to see if I can see where they appear more frequently.

The photo is not my own, I found it on the web and included it as a reference for those who may be less familiar with the critters

Thank you to everyone who has replied so far

• Enjoyed 1

Yeah I'd say there's nothing to worry about as far as the fossils themselves - but they like humidity, they're definitely coming in from somewhere else.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

I keep my fossils in the garage and I regularly find springtails on them, but obviously the climate is not particularly controlled. I agree that they shouldn't cause any issues though. 

17 hours ago, connorp said:

I’ve bred springtails before and they die in dry conditions pretty quick. I’d guess they are living in your walls or foundation and coming through cracks.

I haven't dealt with wild ones, but we used to breed them also and I never saw them survive outside of their containers or the frog tanks that we fed them off in.  We fed ours couscous.  

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

2 hours ago, Fin Lover said:

I haven't dealt with wild ones, but we used to breed them also and I never saw them survive outside of their containers or the frog tanks that we fed them off in.  We fed ours couscous.  

I bred them for frogs too :)

• Enjoyed 1

On 9/13/2022 at 8:42 AM, Misha said:

Some kind of mite like clover mites maybe? I see them outside occasionally, don't think I've had any of them on my fossils at home

Yeah Concrete mites..they cover some rocks here and accumulate in cracks and crevices. They leave a bright red stain when squished.

• 1 month later...

It is always a brief surprise when I pull out a specimen that has been in the drawer or even inside a sealed ziplock and when looking through the microscope or just a hand lens something goes zooming by.