Found this larger chunk of rock (too hard to be modern charcoal) while sifting for microfossils. It has a metallic look to it and is fairly brittle. It was found on bradford beach on Lake Michigan and was likely eroded out of the mid Devonian  Milwaukee formation which is known for its coalified trees and giant fungi.

this looks like a lot of coalified wood I’ve seen pictures of, but I’m pretty new when it comes to plant fossils so this might just be mineral. Thanks!

D184D2F0-8297-4802-9653-DD7FD24EC290.jpeg

8D665E2F-34A9-4B85-B73F-7E7AC6F7583E.jpeg

871B5F16-5616-4F3D-BE3A-E0B88EA66DAD.jpeg

I'm not sure I'd call it wood. Under magnification it is possible that one may find indications, but coal seems more likely to me.

• I Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I'm not sure I'd call it wood. Under magnification it is possible that one may find indications, but coal seems more likely to me.

What’s the difference between coalified wood and wood made from coal?

7 minutes ago, SilurianSalamander said:

What’s the difference between coalified wood and wood made from coal?

Coalified wood still looks like wood only a bit harder and darker. Coal is undefined plant matter that has been compressed into an altered form.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Just a photo, tip oft repeated on TFF...the combination of unstable hand held fossils and cameras result in areas of poor focus.  The fine details on smaller specimens are lost in the blur of combined shaking; and often, those are the details needed to offer identification clues.

You can eliminate one source of instability by placing your fossil on a solid surface.  I use a kneaded artist eraser to help position items that cannot stand on their own.  ;)

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• JohnJ changed the title to Coalified wood?