DapperDavo

Hello,

This is my first post. I recently purchased this item being sold as an authentic trilobite. It was in a box of about 12 and I purchased it cheap. If it's real, fantastic. If not, it's a minor loss. 

It is 3.75 inches/9.525 cm long. Please see the attached photos

Thank you for all your help!

Dave

Trilobite 1.JPG

Trilobite 2.JPG

90457181_Trilobite3.jpg

520279534_Trilobite4.jpg

1925047653_Trilobite5.JPG

Trilobite 6.JPG

This is a typical Flexicalymene from the Moroccan Devonian. It is very common and there are tons of these on the market, so it wouldn't make any sense for anyone to fake it.

• I Agree 3

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I used to buy these by the hundred.  This one has been either repaired or two parts added together?  Still a cool fossil though.

RB

There's no straight in shot of the pygidium but in the third photo the pygidial flanks appear smooth which would mean its Colpocoryphe grandis

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

Looks real to me! This type of fossil is very common, and most of the time people will fake the less common fossils. 

-Micah

@Ludwigia@RJB@Top Trilo@fossilhunter21

Hi ! Thank you so much to each of you. I really appreciate your replies and opinions. And I agree, it was almost certainly repaired from several pieces. I'm really starting to get into fossils. 

I'm coming from a militaria background and I also collect stone tools and ancient artifacts (pottery etc.) 

Thanks again! 

Dave :trilo:

2 hours ago, DapperDavo said:

I'm really starting to get into fossils. 

I'm coming from a militaria background and I also collect stone tools and ancient artifacts (pottery etc.) 

Hi Dave.  Please remember, we don't publish prices.  Thanks. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Sorry, but I can't really be of any help identifying it. But I agree, it does look like it could be composed of two or more pieces. In the images below, I circled an area that looks suspicious, at least to me... 

20220916_085522.jpg

20220916_084822.jpg

Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21

Thanks for the new image. It definitely looks like Colpocoryphe grandis. 

And its Ordovician aged from Morocco.

• I Agree 1

“If fossils are not "boggling" your mind then you are simply not doing it right” -Ken (digit)

"No fossil is garbage, it´s just not completely preserved” -Franz (FranzBernhard)

"With hammer in hand, the open horizon of time, and dear friends by my side, what can we not accomplish together?" -Kane (Kane)

"We are in a way conquering time, reuniting members of a long lost family" -Quincy (Opabinia Blues)

"I loved reading the trip reports, I loved the sharing, I loved the educational aspect, I loved the humor. It felt like home. It still does" -Mike (Pagurus)

“The best deal I ever got was getting accepted as a member on The Fossil Forum. Not only got an invaluable pool of knowledge, but gained a loving family as well.” -Doren (caldigger)

"it really is nice, to visit the oasis that is TFF" -Tim (fossildude19)

"Life's Good! -Adam (Tidgy's Dad)

9 hours ago, fossilhunter21 said:

Sorry, but I can't really be of any help identifying it. But I agree, it does look like it could be composed of two or more pieces. In the images below, I circled an area that looks suspicious, at least to me... 

20220916_085522.jpg

20220916_084822.jpg

Micah

Thank you for pointing that out, good eye. I definitely saw a few other areas of repair, but this flew under the radar. I'm actually not surprised and this is also quite common in the ancient pottery collecting word. Very few things that spend so long in the ground come out in one solid piece. 

• Enjoyed 1

9 hours ago, Top Trilo said:

Thanks for the new image. It definitely looks like Colpocoryphe grandis. 

And its Ordovician aged from Morocco.

Of course, and thanks again for taking a look!

2 hours ago, DapperDavo said:

Very few things that spend so long in the ground come out in one solid piece. 

Yep.

It would be cool if they all came out perfect, but then fossil hunting would not be as interesting and fun if they all came out in one piece. 

-Micah

Edited by fossilhunter21
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1