Prepping and fixing a Saw Fish Shark from Lebanon

RJB

I started this fossil prep project about 3 years ago and I finally finished it up and turned it into a video.  A very time consuming project and had to figure out how to do some of the things I did to get this fish back together.  It came in many pieces and all the pieces were of a different thickness, so I came up with an ingenious way to take care of that.  I had an absolute blast making this video.  Enjoy

https://youtu.be/3tci_Px2TvU

• Enjoyed 8

Nice video again! Informative and great fun to watch. Also filled with a healthy dose of humor. The little things that go wrong are recognizable, there is always something. Thanks for sharing! :default_clap2:

• Thank You 1

13 hours ago, RJB said:

I started this fossil prep project about 3 years ago and I finally finished it up and turned it into a video.  A very time consuming project and had to figure out how to do some of the things I did to get this fish back together.  It came in many pieces and all the pieces were of a different thickness, so I came up with an ingenious way to take care of that.  I had an absolute blast making this video.  Enjoy

https://youtu.be/3tci_Px2TvU

Great prep work as always.  I wouldn't sweat any missing pieces of the rostrum or the matrix.  I just makes it look more real.

Whether it's Libanopristis or Micropristis, it belongs to the same family of sawfishes (not sharks), the Sclerorhynchidae, which is actually not related to any sawfishes living today - separate group with a separate ancestry.  All the members of this group lived only during the Cretaceous.

• Thank You 1

8 hours ago, siteseer said:

Whether it's Libanopristis or Micropristis, it belongs to the same family of sawfishes (not sharks), the Sclerorhynchidae, which is actually not related to any sawfishes living today - separate group with a separate ancestry.  All the members of this group lived only during the Cretaceous.

Thanks for the heads up.  I cant retain things like I used to so I might forget, but really good to know. 

RB