Cretaceous vertebra fossil id help

Callahan

Looks like a fossil vertebra?   Any one know who it goes to etc.

first dino or shark cartilage/bone if so!!!!!

found in Arlington Texas at construction site in layer with gypsum and few Cretaceous aquatic shell fossils and one shark tooth. 

It is pretty brittle etc. will epoxy soon after positive id. 

I’ll post a pic of shark tooth also. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

CCA2C46D-34DA-4433-88D1-228DF61FB50D.jpeg

• Enjoyed 3

• Callahan changed the title to Cretaceous vertebrae fossil id help

The gypsum crystals and the preservation of that shark tooth (which looks like an anterior Cretalamna) make me think that you were hunting in the Del Rio Clay portion of the Grayson formation. If you've ever been to the shale pit at Lake Waco you'd probably recognize it as the same. 

The vertebra is incredibly interesting though. It doesn't look mosasaur since it doesn't seem to have one convex and one concave end, not to mention the Grayson is Cenomanian in age and hardly any mosasaurs are known from that time. 

My best guess would be plesiosaur which is definitely exciting! I've never even seen one from Texas much less found one myself as they're pretty rare. Finding one in the Grayson probably isn't unheard of but if I'm right about it then you might want to show it to a professional. Here's a link to a comment by @Foshunter that I found on the forum with a picture of different plesiosaur vertebrae from Texas: 

• I found this Informative 2

Congratulations, @Callahan!  

Click on THIS MAP to determine the geologic formation.  No need to reveal the exact location.

Might be worth comparing to an archosaur vertebra from the Woodbine Formation.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Cretaceous vertebra fossil id help

Man that’s awesome.  My first Dino fossil. I have some other suspects also.  

they are very brittle falling apart etc.  

Will look around later today at site and see if I can find any more.  

yes it is tarrant county Arlington Texas site have permission to look around.  Ton of different layer exposed. 

thanks all

• Enjoyed 2

I got cha.   I mainly a Native American artifact and Pleistocene bone guy is my true interest. 

I will pick anything up similar to this or a suspect bone in the crystal layer etc.  and see what y’all think. 

heck there could be the whole skeleton scattered about from the dirt work. Who knows.  

• Enjoyed 1

you got permission to hunt the arlington archosaur site? That's awesome!

Mophologically plesiosaur might fit but I don't know if any have been found in the woodbine there, though reasonably they should be. Being a possible archosaur vert, dinosaur isn't the only possibility - there are also some crocs found there. Cool find, whatever it is

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

Very odd vertebra! I see where the suggestion this might be plesiosaur comes from, but, to me, it looks to have too much of a waist in the middle and too thick bevels on the centrum faces. The width and height proportions also don't quite feel right, especially when offset to the specimen's length. Not quite sure what it could be either though...

• I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Really cool find. I'm gonna hazard a guess and say croc. I thought they were mosasaur at first, but the woodbine (assuming that's where it was found) is so old for such an ID. When I hunt the woodbine, I also find lots of those selenite crystals too in case that is useful info.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 3

4 hours ago, Jared C said:

you got permission to hunt the arlington archosaur site? That's awesome!

I don't think he mentioned Archosaur and just so you know the site has long been abandoned, I go kick around there every once in a while. Still a few markers left other than that just loads of selenite.

• Enjoyed 1

5 hours ago, Callahan said:

yes it is tarrant county Arlington Texas site have permission to look around.  Ton of different layer exposed. 

7 minutes ago, Callahan said:

Totally different site than archosaur place. This is just a new construction site many miles away. 

5 hours ago, JohnJ said:

Click on THIS MAP to determine the geologic formation.  No need to reveal the exact location.

Good to know.  Did you use the map link above to determine if it is the Woodbine Formation?

• I Agree 1

Let me look and I’ll let y’all know what formation. 

crazy there is a map like this exists. 

Don’t want to give exact location. I’m not stingy just don’t want bunch of people looking around without permission. 

I eat lunch there on my lunch break and walk around and have permission from developer. 

21 hours ago, JohnJ said:

No need to reveal the exact location.

:Smiling:

• I Agree 1

2 hours ago, Callahan said:

Let me look and I’ll let y’all know what formation. 

crazy there is a map like this exists. 

Don’t want to give exact location. I’m not stingy just don’t want bunch of people looking around without permission. 

I eat lunch there on my lunch break and walk around and have permission from developer. 

Sounds similar to the beginnings of the Arlington Archosaur Site; fossils were found in land ready to be developed. Development was kindly postponed to allow study of fossils. Keep finding more cool fossils and maybe the developer might let in some professions to study them.

• I Agree 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

FORMATION DETAILS : split in half by these 

1.  half the site is GRAYSON MARL and main-street Limestone Undivided, Cretaceous period 

2. other half of site is WOODBINE FORMATION, Cretaceous period 

split in half by these 2 formations hope this helps with these new pics. I have some other suspect rocks also I have no idea if related to the vertebrae or not. 

Can’t remember what formation side I found vertebrae on. Could of washed down from Rain also to one or another formations etc. 

vertebrae and other rocks are very very brittle and very Leary of washing em due to falling apart etc. 

I’ll include both shark teeth also below and a amonite and clams 

thank you very much with everyone’s help. Will frame this fossil for sure with positive id from y’all 

pics

1-6. Vertebrae trying to id

612D9729-61C2-4B49-90D6-35F59D5016C3.jpeg

1F92EEA5-EC54-4B21-9949-D0D7FC6B0208.jpeg

B41C0E44-B961-4CF7-A610-8F99B4D38FEE.jpeg

0A492941-6A61-4BE2-ABEB-53B1B1A25B6A.jpeg

80E6FAB0-652B-48DF-8480-A1F7AC71971A.jpeg

62971459-AB8F-4B9F-B038-8FBCD2A67F30.jpeg

7-10.  Possibly another bone fossil?  Not sure what to look at to id bone that’s very old?

95513AA0-75E4-40BF-85C3-8BDEF2084CAA.jpeg

DD6275D1-2949-416D-9B66-4266D57EDE1A.jpeg

7AA77026-1CC2-4F7F-8EBE-A5F25811B7A2.jpeg

31FEC651-1B7C-4184-9A87-E21B081591B8.jpeg

11-13.  Possible Some sort of crab or troll bite like creature?

9AEA4E76-B9A7-44FE-BB1F-1E2DD97AC430.jpeg

ED5CC9F6-E06A-49B0-9A43-97EE1724CE47.jpeg

F0F5C2CC-8CEA-486C-8DD9-14F7EAC8509E.jpeg

14-17.  Shark teeth. Possible sand tiger , amonites and clam in rock.  Clams in rock show the gray sediment layer one of them 

A72ECF0C-EE7B-4F22-9B01-03968D212593.jpeg

CBD1745D-35E0-4070-A1B2-BF8F4C76ACE7.jpeg

15FA9C71-28AB-46FD-857A-9110CD02CA2E.jpeg

C7FACEE3-B935-4499-A666-05D67FAEE7DD.jpeg

• Enjoyed 2

This just keeps getting more interesting! You really stumbled upon a great site. 

The white shark tooth looks like an anterior Cretoxyrhina mantelli to me now rather than Cretalamna like I said earlier. The lingual protuberance (the raised bump on the front of the tooth) isn't something you see on Cretalamna but do on Cretoxyrhina. There also seems to be some space between the root and the blade of the tooth which is also more of a Cretoxyrhina feature. 

The very first new picture you posted today is definitely some sort of crustacean. It could be either crab or lobster. That bumpy shiny surface looks exactly like a lobster I found in the red beds at the North Sulphur River several years ago. Of course, it's not likely to be the same species given how far apart in age the formation you're in is from the Ozan. 

• Enjoyed 1

@Callahan, I organized your new photos in your post.  Several were out of place.  You can do this in the future by putting the cursor where you want the photo, then tapping the "+" symbol on the uploaded photo.

I wish there was more of that crab preserved.  

@MB

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

Thanks John.

All I will look around some more at lunch break again and see if I can find some more stuff.  

land developer said going to be a year at least till houses there etc. 

I kind of know what I’m looking for now due to the good info y’all gave me.  

What a place! This is very interesting. Geologic maps shouldn't be read like the bible, they're usually generalized so it's up to your discretion about where the boundaries are. Based on the preservation of your fossils, I'm fairly sure your fossils came from the woodbine. Again, awesome, awesome finds. 

“Not only is the universe stranger than we think, it is stranger than we can think” -Werner Heisenberg 

The two nautiloids and Neithea scallop are evidence of Mainstreet Limestone exposure.  However, I agree much of the rest indicates the Woodbine. 

• I Agree 1