Silica Shale Placoderm ID

Misha

Hello everyone,

I recently got this Ptyctodont tooth plate from a certain well known auction site and wanted to see if anyone here may know where I could get more info to identify it.

I purchased this fossil for really cheap, I'm not sure why but I was the only person to bid on it, not sure if others just didn't recognize it, or nobody was interested. This plate is a large, at least in comparison to my two other 1 cm long Ptyctodus plates from Russia, and is labeled as coming from the Mid Devonian Silica Shale in Paulding OH. I took a look in my book on the Silica Shale and saw that quite a few of these fish are found there, I tried looking into the different genera further online but found few resources and nothing very helpful.

If anyone knows what this may be more specifically or where to look for further info, I'd really appreciate it.

PXL_20220915_033708765.thumb.jpg.b5a6d2832e18a66be1d8517a9fb7efa0.jpgPXL_20220915_033658978.thumb.jpg.d1360c9f4137b5a910a30de3fb973473.jpgPXL_20220915_033650188.thumb.jpg.0d0a34ef9a521ae279d1f523c6e390ee.jpg

Maybe @connorp or @jdp might know more about this?

Thank you for looking,

Misha 

• Enjoyed 1

It is a nice piece of placoderm. But it won't be easy to make out the species from just on fragment. Altough that tooth plate might have enough taxonomic propperties.

• Thank You 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

Nice piece. I don't know if ptyctodont dental elements can be assigned to genera. Older publications often use the genus Ptyctodus but I think this is somewhat of a waste-basket taxon.

• I found this Informative 1