Not a belemnite?

Fay

New to this group so I hope I'm posting within guidelines. Apologies if not.
My son found this at Charmouth last winter and it's been stashed in his jar of belemnites.

But last night he noticed this one is different, it has ridges on both sides and isn't cone shaped like the others. He's hoping its pterosaur! Can anyone help with ID?
Thanks.

PHOTO-2022-09-15-09-25-21-2.jpg

PHOTO-2022-09-15-09-25-21.jpg

PHOTO-2022-09-15-09-25-20.jpg

Hi, welcome to the group. Lyme, great region!!! Fantastic site and good fossils.

What you have is the back-part of a Belemnite, a fossil type of squid

Sorry to say, no Pterosaur :-(

• I Agree 1

it is defenitely a Belemnite, the point must have broken of, the last picture shows the opening of the phragmocone.

• Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Not a belemnite?
27 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Now can someone explain why the radial texture is missing on the outside layers? And maybe why it's not bullet shaped ?

The fossil is quite worn and the point broke of , it must have been on de beach for a while before it has been picked up.

• I Agree 2

53 minutes ago, Manticocerasman said:

The fossil is quite worn and the point broke of , it must have been on de beach for a while before it has been picked up.

So you're saying erosion and weathering did that ? What do they use for sun screen on those beaches ?

26 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

So you're saying erosion and weathering did that ? What do they use for sun screen on those beaches ?

Yes of course, the beaches in Charmouth are made out of pebles, shingle, sand ... , the fossils that are exposed on the beaches are washed out by the tides. They don't last long in those conditions. The combination of the activity of the waves , the sand and  gravel works like a sandblaster. Details are worn of by each tide until nothing is left.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 2

3 hours ago, Manticocerasman said:

Details are worn of by each tide until nothing is left.

But what I still don't understand is why the layered look ? It seems that any of them I've collected would just turn into little needle shapes eventually.