Using fossils in everyday life

Mart1980

Fossils are our passion, and a passion is not just a hobby. It is a kind of lifeline that gives you the opportunity to be who you are allowed to be. I let my passion run its course and it doesn't just stop with collecting. I also look at how I can use fossils practically. So I have now sawn a piece (collotia oxypticha, DeDeux-Sèvres France) which I use as a bookend. Beautiful and useful at the same time. At the same time I started to make a photo frame with fossils incorporated in it.

Are there more people who use fossils practically and let their passion resound in the world around them? Let's share some ideas.... 

20220915_152352.jpg

20220915_152422.jpg

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 7

I once showed this here a few years ago, but I guess I could dig it up again. My ammonite clock. Made from half an ammonite (Brasilia sp.) from the clay pit in Geisingen sectioned and fit together as the background and then adorned with smaller ammonites (Harpoceras sp., Hildoceras sp. & Dactylioceras sp.) from Fuegerolles in Normandy at the appropriate spots.

A82a.1.thumb.jpg.bf5896fd48c3f36af691eb40d7dcde82.jpg

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 16

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

10 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I once showed this here a few years ago, but I guess I could dig it up again. My ammonite clock. Made from half an ammonite (Brasilia sp.) from the clay pit in Geisingen sectioned and fit together as the background and then adorned with smaller ammonites (Harpoceras sp., Hildoceras sp. & Dactylioceras sp.) from Fuegerolles in Normandy at the appropriate spots.

Excuse my language (Or whatever word TFF converts it into) but I love this clock, that's so cool!

Oh it just straight removed the word this time, that's funny.

• Thank You 1

Fossils? I dig it. :meg:

On 9/15/2022 at 10:09 AM, Mart1980 said:

Fossils are our passion, and a passion is not just a hobby. It is a kind of lifeline that gives you the opportunity to be who you are allowed to be. I let my passion run its course and it doesn't just stop with collecting. I also look at how I can use fossils practically. So I have now sawn a piece (collotia oxypticha, DeDeux-Sèvres France) which I use as a bookend. Beautiful and useful at the same time. At the same time I started to make a photo frame with fossils incorporated in it.

Are there more people who use fossils practically and let their passion resound in the world around them? Let's share some ideas.... 

20220915_152352.jpg

20220915_152422.jpg

Maybe to add onto the bookend idea, you can sort books based on whatever fossil it is you're using for the role.

-A lot of books relating to the ocean and it's inhabitants?  You already have a perfect example right here.

-Have a shelf with lots of books about land-based ecosystems? Perhaps the vertebra of pleistocene megafauna could fit the job description.

And I think it would be even more neat if the fossils that were being used for bookend roles were propped up next to books more or less directly relevant to them (in the ammonite's case, maybe you could have a book talking about Mesozoic marine fauna or something along those lines). To add a cherry on top, perhaps you could also add a little blurb on a card right beside it describing what exactly the bookend is to the uninformed observer

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

I gave probably hundreds of brachiopods to my mom and she went ahead and made a large bar table out of them. Placed them on top of a counter slab, and covered them in resin? Or some clear substance as a tabletop. 99 percent were strophomenids but it was really cool. It was an idea derived off a similar design using normal seashells. 

I walk on them every day from my marl driveway to the concrete and macadam on the streets and sidewalks around here. Guess they're not all mine though so perhaps only the driveway.

On 9/15/2022 at 4:32 PM, Ludwigia said:

cool one, to make it perfect perfect change the clock hands against belemnites... :Jumping:

• Enjoyed 1

On 15/9/2022 at 8:32, Ludwigia said:

Una vez mostré esto aquí hace unos años, pero supongo que podría desenterrarlo nuevamente. Mi reloj de ammonites. Hecho de media ammonites ( Brasilia sp. ) del pozo de arcilla en Geisingen seccionada y ensamblada como fondo y luego adornada con ammonites más pequeños ( Harpoceras sp. , Hildoceras sp. & Dactylioceras sp. ) de Fuegerolles en Normandía en los lugares apropiados .

A82a.1.pulgar.jpg.bf5896fd48c3f36af691eb40d7dcde82.jpg

It is a beautiful and very creative piece. :D 

• Thank You 1