Concretion or egg

Sammajamma

My son picked this up while visiting his grandpa. We aren’t sure but know it’s probably a concretion. Would love it to be a real egg!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hello and Welcome to the Forum.

We would love for it to be a real egg as well, but, unfortunately, it is a concretion.

There is no egg shell texture present.

Please have a look through our Egg Guides.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Welcome to the Forum!

It's a concretion, but it does seem to have something inside (2nd photo).  Worth splitting open I would think.  You could give it a few taps with a hammer (not too hard) and see if you can get it to split lengthwise.  I'm guessing it's a double Baculites, but who knows until you look.

Don

• I Agree 1

Its a lovely stone suggesting an egg, but its not a Dinosaur egg im afraid, there is no egg shell visible , and the location does not match.

It resembles an Oviraptor egg . I can image your thrill once you find a stone shaped like this.

The links provided up are very useful in learning how an egg looks like

edit Perhaps a fossilized fruit? im no expert at this, but im sure some perhaps are here. All tough I have not seen them from Montana.

Goodluck

Edited by Phos_01

• 2 weeks later...

Oh man!  You have a lobster!!!  Its your concretion but I would not break any more!!!  You need to save each and every piece of rock and prep it out. 

RB

• I found this Informative 3

It appears to be paleonepherops?  I know its not hoploparia but there is also another one i cant remember.  Is this from the Bear Paw?  That info would help.

RB

• Enjoyed 1

Feldmann, R.M., Bishop, G.A., Kammer, T.W. 1977

Macrurous Decapods from the Bearpaw Shale (Cretaceous: Campanian) of Northeastern Montana. Journal of Paleontology, 51(6):1161-1180  PDF LINK

image.thumb.png.ea797d11153e50b6573c7a7103839559.png

Tsujita, C.J. 2003

Smothered Scampi: Taphonomy of Lobsters in the Upper Cretaceous Bearpaw Formation, Southern Alberta. Journal of Taphonomy, 1(3):187-206  PDF LINK

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

I agree... Montana Cretaceous lobster.  Now what to do with it?  RJB suggested prepping it, but these things are notoriously difficult and time consuming.  But they are cool.  

Whoa! Thanks guys I’ll let my son know! We definitely opened it more but will try to see what kind of pictures we can post another update 

@Sammajamma If you plan on getting more of the lobster exposed, then I would advise you to first leave it as is and find someone who knows what they're doing to do the work for you. As jpc, one of our professional preparers has already mentioned, these are notoriously difficult to prepare and you may end up damaging it.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Yep, these have been some of the tuffest preps I've ever done!  Damage has already been done to this one and if trying to expose more, then more damage will happen.  I'm not kidding when I said each and every piece should be saved so it can be repaired. That included not just lobster pieces but rock pieces also.   This has the potential to be a high dollar fossil.  Would be a shame to see it headed to the rock heap. 

RB

It's quite impressive that you guys can see such a small amount and know that it is a lobster!

• I Agree 1

Fin Lover

image.png.e69a5608098eeb4cd7d1fc5feb4dad1e.png image.png.e6c66193c1b85b1b775526eb958f72df.png image.png.65903ff624a908a6c80f4d36d6ff8260.png

image.png.7cefa5ccc279142681efa4b7984dc6cb.png

My favorite things about fossil hunting: getting out of my own head, getting into nature and, if I’m lucky, finding some cool souvenirs.

As we like to keep things legal here, I would shy away from calling this a big dollar item, as almost all of these come from BLM land in northeast MT and the BLM does not allow selling of fossils found on their land.  But the big dollars will come in how much time is spent prepping it.    

wow, what a cool find... rare

Pleasepleaseplease, let someone who knows how to do do the prep-work. By opening with an hammer it could be destroyed...

Gees, the whole string of crab/crustacean preppers have already chimed in to say yes its a lobster and please treat it nicely.   We'd all lust after it...ha ha.